Chapter 2: Not My Cuppa

You were escorted quietly through the Palace after arriving only slightly earlier than your invitation. Better you wait for the Prince than the other way around. Your clothing was modest by Palace standards and was easily the fanciest thing you owned on your own. You were simply grateful that you neither had to buy something new, nor were you uncomfortably gifted anything from a man you wanted absolutely nothing to do with.

You were escorted into a parlor, and not a proper tearoom, which was a relief. It was far easier to keep oneself to a single cup of a tea while meeting in a parlor than during a full tea ceremony.

After being left on your own in the room, you began to look around. It was elegant, perhaps a little overdone for your tastes, but not ostensibly so. The view out the large windows was worth quite a lot more, as far as you were concerned. The elevated nature of the room gave you a view over the interior courtyard of the palace, and a garden that spilled into an unbelievably clear lake. If not for the reflection of the forest beyond it, you might have almost mistaken it for being a Zen garden, the sandy bed of the lake was that visible.

The idea of being able to visit endless oceans, some as clear as the lake, made your heart swell. And made your aggravation at being here swell a little as well. Tucking that away, you heard a knock at the door, and Doflamingo was announced before entering the room.

He was dressed a step above casual for his usual attire, and it met your level of dress quite well. You curtsied, keeping your gaze low. "Thank you for inviting me, your highness."

"You're quite welcome, Lady Sarie." He said, stepping in and seating himself on the side of the table farthest from you. "Please, join me."

His hand on the cushion next to him was an offer for you to sit beside him, but proper etiquette prompted you to sit across from him with as neutral an expression as possible. You were both, technically at least, underage members of nobility, as one wasn't considered to have come of age until after marriage. As you weren't betrothed to one another, it was improper to sit too close.

"It seems my hunch was correct," He mused, and you looked over at him quizzically. "You truly have no desire to be near me, do you Lady Sarie?"

"I am simply aware of my station, your highness." You reply evenly. "It is more than I deserve to be invited to tea, in all honesty."

There was a sharpness to Doflamingo's tone when he spoke again, even though his earlier smile didn't falter, "Lady Sarie, do not lie to me."

You were genuinely confused. "My apologies, your highness, but I'm not sure I know what you mean."

"I do appreciate your dedication to etiquette, but I would appreciate you respond with silence, rather than try to placate me with false words." He clarified, his sharp tone softening slightly.

The tea came in and was served with some snacks, and the whole process gave you enough time to really consider his words. Lying without lying was kind of the basis of etiquette – though most nobles referred to it as 'speaking indirectly', but it was basically just flattery that backstabbed you.

"Would silence lead to my execution?" You ask, sipping tea and glancing at him from over the rim of the cup.

The smile that spread across his face was probably the most devilish smile you'd ever seen. "Neither honesty nor silence would lead to your unfortunate demise, Lady Sarie. I cannot promise either would result in a wholly positive experience, but I can promise you would survive it."

"Then I shall amend my previous statement, if you would like?" You prompted, having set your tea down.

"Please do so."