imperfectly perfect

This is a little piece i wrote for a competition for Lonely Planet magazine,, not my best but i love the idea behind it :)

Imperfectly perfect

‘So if I were to ask you to come with me to a random place, you would just come?’

‘I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t. I don’t think you’d be the type to harm me too much.’

‘Not too much. Just a little bit...’

‘Haha I’d like to see you try... So what say you? Are you up for adventure?’

‘Seriously?’

‘Sure! let’s go!’

‘Ok let’s go to Wales!’

‘Ok! When?’

‘Next week, after the party at mine!’

‘Ok!’

‘Wow!’

It was decided then. We didn’t even know each other very well. None of our friends thought it was a good idea. Both of us were very chaotic and impulsive. Everyone was convinced we’d get lost for weeks, which made the whole thing more exciting. It was an adventure. We made no plans for accommodation. We thought about it for a while but we didn’t have money for a hotel and the only tent available to us was built for eight people and would of course be way too heavy to take with us. We decided it would be best to just go and see where we’d end up. A kind farmer would surely take pity on us and give us a roof over our heads for the night. Either that or we’d have to sleep in the middle of a field, with nothing but our coats for warmth. Not a particularly appealing idea in early February.

The night of the party arrived and I was very excited to get going. I had only moved away from the Netherlands a few months ago and was aching to explore more of the United Kingdom. I hadn’t really gotten out of the grey, dull city at all. He seemed very encouraging too. He never hinted of backing out once; unlike all the other people I had tried to go on adventures with. This one would actually happen. I was sure of it. 

Disappointingly, the house party turned out to be virtually non-existent so my new friend and I decided to go into the bedroom to pack our bags. That was the plan anyway. Once we were alone together we just started talking, about everything big and everything small. It felt like we’d been so similar all our lives, like everything had prepared us for each other. We were imperfect, both of us, but we fit together perfectly. We kept on talking and talking until eventually we realised that four days had gone by. Needless to say, we never quite made it to Wales. We got something much better out of that weekend. We fell in love and haven’t been apart for more than a day since.