Chapter 14

Ryan's hand drifted to hers as soon as they were safely in his truck. He barely made it to the first stop sign before he asked if he could kiss her. Rach's lips gave him the answer he sought. She sat back in her seat and could not help but glow. She was happy. "I have been waiting to kiss you all day. Want to get something to eat or snack at the game and eat later," he asked.

How could she even think of things like food? She didn't care what they did as long as she was with him. "Let's get a snack there, I am not that hungry."

After parking his truck in front of the gymnasium, catching the weary look in Rach's eyes as they approached the front doors, he took her hand in his and kissed the side of her head letting her know he was there and they would be fine. She smiled in understanding and through the doors they went.

There was nothing like being at a high school gym for a basketball game. The concession stand held the most tempting treats. The aroma of the popcorn, the nachos and the corn dogs were almost irresistible. Ryan paid for their tickets as she nervously anticipated being bombarded at any moment. He took her hand and led her into the gym and up the bleachers, "Are these seats ok or would you rather be higher up?" Half way up was perfect and they settled in waiting for the tip off.

It was almost the end of the first quarter before Amy came running up the stairs. Ryan was the first to recognize her, "Amy it is nice to see you again. If you don't mind, Rach, I am going to go get us a snack. Will you keep her company?" She smiled and down the stairs he went.

Rachel gave Amy a hug. " Thank God you are here. What do you think? This is crazy right? I can't breathe when I am around him and I am thinking all kinds of things that I have never thought before."

"Rachel you have to get a grip girl! I think I should be getting advice from you for a change on getting a man. I am so jealous. He looks like a man on a mission when he looks at you. He is totally into you." Rachel could not suppress the grin on her face. "You have to promise me that for once in your life you will be spontaneous and let yourself have fun at whatever cost. Big risk means big reward, remember? Ok look he is coming back up but I know you can do this. I love you and call me tomorrow!!!!!"

Amy had no idea how bold Rachel had already been when it came to Ryan. The whole confidence that Rachel was throwing out was a partial sham and she knew it. She was afraid Ryan knew it too. She decided to brush off those thoughts and enjoy her drink and nachos they were sharing.

Basketball was a family thing and they always loved watching the games. She played basketball for years and her parents never missed a game. Even though she was not playing anymore, they always went to the home games. Basketball was sacred. At her house, everyone knew when the Memphis Tigers were on TV, no one would answer the phone and you entered at your own risk. Her mom, dad and oldest sister Lana enjoyed the games more than Sara, but they still did it as a family as much as they could. Rachel missed those days. She missed yelling at the referees for bad calls.

The gym was a roar, and the score was tied at 32. The home team had the ball and the ref decided to call a personal foul against our center when clearly it was the forward on the away team's fault. All night the referees were making bogus calls. Ryan watched as Rachel hollered at the referee throughout the game and it just made him love her even more.

Love? Did he really just tell himself that he loved her? Hold up this is going way to fast? There is way too much at stake here. The buzzer sounded, bringing Ryan out of his own thoughts about love. The forward missed his free throws and the home team retrieved the rebound, ran it down the court with a pass to the left and a quick three pointer. The score turned into 35-32. Home team wins! Rachel jumped from her seat as she cheered and grabbed his arm in excitement.