01

"Please take care of yourself. Don't stay out too late. Always double lock the apartment at night. Make sure to call your brother the second something happens. He has plenty of friends here."

"Okay, mom. I understand. We don't have to go over the same rules for a fifth time today. I can take care of myself." I roll my eyes and pull my mother in a warm hug. Even though I'll love living on my own, I can't stop but already miss her overbearing self. "Don't worry. I mean it. I am good."

"Oh, my sweet Angel. I can't believe you're also leaving me."

"I didn't leave," Jamal interrupts us. "We live like thirty minutes away, mom."

"That's different. She's a baby."

"Correction. I am eighteen."

"As I said," Mom starts, "a baby. Ugh! I will miss you so much. Please answer my phone calls and do not do anything to embarrass us. Remember, your brother-"

"-is a public figure so we must act well in order to protect his image. Yes. I know." How can I not when that's all anyone cares about. I couldn't even go to Ibiza with my friends after graduating because my parents were afraid of me or my friends acting inappropriately and it all being linked to my brother.

I get it. He's famous. People know him. And I understand how me misbehaving will put him in a bad light. But just because I understand doesn't mean I like it. I am my own person and I don't want to build my life around my brother who's so much better and so much more successful than a simple soon-to-be economy student who had to move all over the country, because that was the only university that accepted her despite of her bad grades.

Not that I am complaining. I've lived at many places growing up. Mostly because we always moved to where my brother was currently playing. Out of all the places Munich was probably the most boring one. I didn't even make one friend and even though I may not be a social butterfly, I am not someone who stays friendless for too long.

But now things will change. I am independent, free. No one to watch over my like I am a little kid that needs to be observed at all times. No more being in the shadow of my brother.

"What are you thinking?" Jamal asks after mom went to take a phone call.

"Nothing. I am just excited."

"I know mom can be a bit annoying sometimes but take all of that to heart."

"I won't tarnish your reputation, J," I assure him, trying my best not to roll my eyes in annoyance.

"I don't care about that. This is your first time being alone without anyone to watch over you. Don't do stupid things just for the hell of it. Don't get drunk and go home with random guys you meet at clubs just because you can."

I am a walking Virgin sign. So that'll be easy. "You don't think I am that irresponsible, do you?"

"I know you're not. But I also know that you can be stubborn and spiteful. So I am just reminding you. Also, before I forget. Take this," he grabs something from his wallet and hands it to me. I stare at the card. "It's my credit card. Just use it whenever you need. I know you hate taking my money but I am your brother and I want you to focus on school rather than working five jobs to afford living. Take it. And use it."

"Can I buy a tractor with it?" I grin.

"Why'd you want to buy a tractor."

"To remember Munich every once in a while."

"I know damn well you're not trying to remember Munich," he laughs, then pulls me in a weird hug. My brother and I are really close but hugging was never our thing. "Call me if you need anything, okay?"

"I will," I nod and break the hug. "Jamal. Who was mom talking about when she said you had friends who live here. Are you and Jude talking again?"

"Don't. Say. His. Name."

I got my answer then.

"No, we are not. And we never will. I lied to mom and said that I knew people here who'll keep an eye of you. Otherwise she would've made this whole thing a lot more difficult."

I nod, understandingly. Jude is always a sensitive topic around Jamal so I decide not to dig any further. Instead I just smile at my brother before giving him a quick peck on the cheeks for one last time. "Thank you."