snippet of flying lightly

Flying Lightly is a story I have been working on for a while now and it will need another good while to make it good but i'll put some pieces up for inspection just for the heck of it:)

To get into it,, i wrote a little definition of Flying Lightly:

Don’t overthink things. Don’t take moments and words for anything other than what they are. Don’t worry so much. Go with the flow.. Know that you’ll be able to get back up again. Live your life for today. Do only what makes you happy. Appreciate the small things. Don’t worry about falling, we all fall sometimes so fly.  As high as you can. Grasp the slightest breeze and spread your wings.

At least we’ll try..

this bit is pretty self explanatory,, the main characters Charlotte and Celeste trying to figure out life. How problems consume you one second and and how completely insignificant they seem the next. this is mainly about the first. to be continued later on:)

I looked around the empty room. Everyone was in uni. Everyone had a direction, a goal. I was lost. I couldn’t go back home, I couldn’t. I had always been a golden girl. So strange, I’d been dreaming away my life without doing anything of purpose but people had still thought I’d get places. I was bright. I could do whatever I put my mind to. They hadn’t noticed the constant failing because I’d always been too proud to admit to it. I had never succeeded at anything! I couldn’t do anything! Sure I had some brains on me but I never ever used them! I had to get back into uni but there was no way I could pay the tuition fees. I was only barely scraping by as it was, and I wasn’t even paying rent! Oh god I couldn’t stay in this house for much longer either. It was full. There was no room in their lives for me either, much as they tried. The door opened and Celeste walked in. She looked about as miserable as I felt.

 Hey Charlie.’

‘Hola.’

‘How artyouu?’

‘I’m a loser. What’s wrong with you?’

‘I got a B for my project...’

‘I know it’s been a while since I was in school but, last time I checked, that was still on the good side of the list.’

‘I guess... I just... am I doing the right thing?’

‘Do you mean like… what do you mean?’

She chuckled dryly and studied my face for a few seconds. It was clear she wanted to tell me something but it seemed like she didn’t know if she should or even knew how.

‘Ah.. I don’t know... it’s just like, everyone expects me to be a certain way, you know? And I always thought that was fine. I would just turn out that way. And now… I just don’t really know anymore.’

‘Ah that’s what you mean… that isn’t good... One piece of advice, though. Don’t quit uni before you know where you want to go after quitting. There’s something I regret doing. I think.’

We grinned sheepishly at each other. Then suddenly she got that look in her eye again.

‘Charles, can I show you something?’

But at that moment the door opened and two of our other roommates came in, bringing news about last night’s party that distracted us enough not to worry about our own problems for a moment.