Ava and the machine

They stood in front of the machine watching as the blue glow landed over their faces. When presented with a machine they didn't think existed they were scared and watched with horror as it came from the ground up waiting for them to go in.
"Hello Ava" says the machine in a robotic woman's voice. Ava steps closer while the other four watch her.
They sat at the lunch table staring at each other hoping someone would say something. The night before felt like a fever dream to everyone at the table. Ava hoped that it had been a dream. She was the only one at the table that believed time travel was something never to do. Why would she have to be the daughter of a scientist?, why did she have to be smart just like him? She never wanted to have to deal with problems from her past but it felt as if they were all creeping up on her.
"Can anyone say something please?' Lilly breaks the silence.
"Do we really have to talk about it?" Says Logan.
Aurora shifts in her seat. "Well I think it's best we don't talk about last night and instead talk about how we have a school day to get through" Says Aurora trying to get rid of the tension in the air.
Logan smiles at her and shakes his head to agree. Ava and Lilly look at each other for a second and then laugh. Aurora and Logan look at them with puzzling looks.
"Oh it's nothing" says Lilly trying not to laugh out loud.
And at that moment an idea pops into Ava's head.
"Guys even if we don't want to deal with it, I think we all know why my dad has a machine in the basement." Says Ava.
They all look at her waiting for her to finish.
"He has it clearly to try and get my mom back." Ava states.
RING RING!
"Well I guess there goes the bell," Logan says with a sigh.
"I'll see you all later!" Ava yells over the sound of the bell.
As Ava runs all the way home after her classes, she wonders what she will do. Her father is never home to hear her out and Ava will never speak about what has happened to her mother.
"A time machine in my basement, what am I supposed to do with that?" She asks herself as she walks through her front door.
The time machine is an issue because Ava doesn't know what crazy things her father could be planning this time.
The stairs creak under her footsteps as she slowly walks down the stairs. The blue glow is still there as if the machine has been waiting for her this whole time.