Home Sweet Home

My back had almost connected with every single stair I came to contact with on the fall down. Isaac had continued to snarl and hiss along with me as he wasn't too far behind. My body burned with every corner my body had hit. The staircase shook as I kept my arms extended. Whatever Isaac had done to Allen, I'd be damned if he did that to me.

The real pain had settled at my tailbone the moment I landed on the last couple of steps, one of my hands had gripped part of the stair rail for support, splinters burrowed themselves into the flesh of my hand as prevented myself from falling any further. Isaac had landed not too far above me, his face planted on the staircase next to my right knee, he raised it to show a newly broken nose, his eyes remained open and he once again snarled as he turned his head to attempt to sink his teeth into my clothed knee. I immediately brought my left leg up and with much force and kicked him in the face as hard as I could. His head jolted back from the impact of my boot, but his hands only slithered their way further up my body as he tried to venture further up. With one final quick, I had sent him off my body long enough for me to scurry onto my feet and back away from him. I gazed down at Isaac as he remained sprawled along the stairs. He gazed up at me and bore his bloodstained teeth at me once more. His arm reached out as if he would be able to get what he desired so much.

The moonlight shone on his face, which allowed me to see how he mirrored the same behaviors as his mother did in his backyard in full view.

Wait, his mother, she must've heard all the noise we had made.

I snapped my trance-like gaze from Isaac's only to be ambushed by an angry Margaret Wilson as an element of surprise. I took a step back as I placed my hands on her shoulders. Margaret snarled, and within a matter of seconds, she had me pinned against the wall. Her eyes replicated her son's, alongside her behavior. She extended her arms towards my face, and her cold fingertips were close enough to graze my skin.

If it wasn't clear already, something is very wrong with these two.

At the corner of my peripheral, I noticed that her son had been crawling toward us, and a feral growl followed suit from his mouth as he had dragged his body against the floor. I needed to act and fast.

I flung Margaret to my left by her shoulders so hard that she stumbled over her son and her back hit the first steps of the stairwell. With this new distance I had created, I seized this chance to sprint towards the front door Allen had arrived in, which wasn't that far ahead of the foyer.

Their growls and groans had continued, which was already a sign for me that they weren't ready to give up.

I didn't even bother to look back as I had opened the door, darted through their small porch, and leaped over the steps. My knees buckled, and my hand hit the pavement of the small walkway that had led to their house. A stinging sensation fell onto the palm of hand as I forced myself to stand back up.

The wind howled in my ears as I had continued my dead sprint back to my own home. The irony had been that after all this time, I had been hard-pressed to run away from it, and now I was running to it. I leaped over the row dead bushes that Daphne had attempted to plant to separate our yard from the Wilson's. I could still hear Margaret's distant groan from behind me, but I didn't dare to look back. I ran along the steps with another half-stumble. My fist slammed against the dark wood of the door, and my eyes peered through the stained glass window.

It didn't take long for me to see Hannah jog to the door. She quickly opened it and I ran inside. I didn't even take the time to read her face as I had made sure to shut the door behind me and lock it. My hand formed into a fist as my chest heaved, cold sweat formed along my forehead.

"What happened?" Hannah asked in a panicky voice. I was so out of breath that I couldn't answer her. All I could do was press my back against the door and shut my eyes.

The bile threatened to rise up my throat once more as I had remembered what happened. Allen's stomach that was torn open, Isaac's hands that dared to shovel themselves within it's cavity, the disgusting sound of chewing, chunks of what I assumed was Allen's flesh that was stuck within Isaac's teeth when he had approached me with those lifeless white eyes.

He was eating Allen.

A person eating another person in such a barbaric manner.

And I'm almost convinced that Margaret wasn't that much different from her son Isaac.

In my sad pathetic life, I had never seen something so fucked up until that very moment.

My body winced as Hannah's warm hand had gently patted my shoulder. She appeared before me with a wide-eyed expression on her face, her arms extended as she raised her eyebrows. "Dakota, what happened?"

My hands placed themselves on my knees. "I..."

"What's with all the racket?" Daphne's disdainful voice had barged into this conversation. Great.

Allen was dead.

How was I going to explain that?

"We...have to...get out of here." I said in between breaths. The adrenaline had still been in my system, I forced myself to stand up straight.

"What are you even talking about?" Daphne had appeared within my view now. She stood next to Hannah with her arms crossed, her index finger tapped along her arm impatiently as she looked up at me.

"Allen...Allen's dead, Daphne." I choked the words out reluctantly. How the hell were they going to believe a word I say?

"What?" Hannah retorted. "What happened?" She asked once again.

Daphne snorted with an eye roll. "If this is some kind of joke-"

I glared at her. Tired of having to mask my true resentment for this woman, I yelled.

"Isaac fucking-"

With my words barely settled within the air, a loud thud had emerged from the other side of the door that I had my back pressed against, all of us had winced in the perfect unison. I reluctantly turned my body around to peer through the stained glass once more.

Much to my horror, I made eye contact with the lifeless eyes of Margaret Wilson once again.