|I{•------» [19] «------•}I|

Today, the heiress decided to hang out with the pink-haired girl, strolling through the crowded village streets. The two had been getting closer to each other as the day went by.

They walked silently, enjoying each other's company, with Sakura glancing at her friend from time to time. Her green eyes scanned their surroundings, taking in every local and foreign face that sauntered past them. It was something she had no choice in because most of those faces continued to block their path, all stopping to give a greeting or introduction to the heiress at her side. "Do you want to come over to my house?" she asked, noticing that the girl seemed annoyed with everyone bothering her.

Ruka glanced her way, parting her rosy lips to give her friend an answer, but her voice was unheard when a loud voice claimed their attention. "Well, if it isn't our lovely Ruka Sarutobi! I knew that scent was too fresh to be left from my son's room last week!"

The brunette turned her head towards the voice, a wide grin spreading across her face when she noticed the Inuzukas standing just a few feet away from them. "Sorry about that, Mrs. Inuzuka."

"Don't worry," Tsume grinned as they closed the distance between them, nudging her son as she went. "Glad that you're back too. Kiba was about to start sulking like a little puppy. It's been affecting his training too."

"Mom!" Kiba cried out in protest, his cheeks flushing scarlet red, which caused Sakura to giggle behind her hands, earning herself a glare from Kiba.

Ruka smiled shyly at her best friend before allowing her gaze to drift between the sleeping form of Akamaru. "Rough day at training?"

Tsume glanced over her shoulder at the hounds, one nudging her in that loving manner Ruka had always seen Kiba interact. "You could sure say that. The hounds have been helping us memorize all the newcomers' scents."

"Memorize all the scents?" Sakura echoed, surprise flitting across her features. "But why would you do that?"

"They're Inuzukas," Ruka explained. "Their noses are the best scent catchers out there, making it easy to track people."

Tsume smiled proudly as her future daughter-in-law explained to the clueless pinkette. Kiba nodded, his finger jabbing proudly against his chest. "And we'll catch any runaway Shinobi who dares to make trouble during the Chunin Exams."

"Speaking of Chunin Exams..." Tsume trailed off. "Must be an exciting time for you, Ruka." She grinned. "Long overdue though, wouldn't you say?"

"Huh?" Sakura asked in confusion as her green eyes flickered between Kiba's mom and her friend.

"Your leader over here should have been a Chunin long ago," Kiba's mom said as she reached down to rustle Ruka's hair affectionately. "But Lord Third has always been stubborn. He wanted Ruka to have a normal life for as long as she could."

"Yeah, because I've always had such a normal childhood," Ruka's voice dripped with sarcasm as she rolled her eyes, causing Kiba to grin in amusement.

A rather large-looking hound suddenly started forward, nudging Tsume forward with a distinctive yip that had said woman nodding her head. "That's my cue. Asuma offered to allow us and the hounds into your compound for the day. He said it would be easier for us to get all those important scents."

Ruka nodded her head in understanding. "Don't let us keep you waiting then."

"I'm on my way," she announced as her gaze flickered towards her son, and then a mischievous smile played across her lips. "Kiba here is more than welcome to stay. Maybe you'll shake him out of his lazy ways, as always."

Kiba sighed in exasperation as Ruka grabbed his arm, bringing him close to her. "Gladly!"

---

"So, you don't know if you'll be competing in the exams at all?" Kiba prompted the pink-haired girl occupying the seat beside Ruka, pausing only to shovel another large bite of ramen into his mouth.

Sakura shook her head, a slight pout playing on her lips as she stared down at her untouched bowl of ramen. "Kakashi-sensei hasn't brought it up at all. I'm beginning to think he doesn't believe we're ready."

Ruka lifted her head up to find the girl in a solemn mood. "He's just worried about us," she spoke up, causing Sakura to look at her. "He has been through a lot of pain back then... He just doesn't want us to go through what he did."

"Just give him some time to think, will you?" Ruka gave the pinkette a comforting smile, which Sakura nodded at before she began to eat her ramen.

As Sakura ate her ramen, she began to observe how Ruka and Kiba interacted with each other. She watched Ruka laughing when Kiba said something funny. When Ruka was with them, Sakura could barely see her smiling the way she smiled with Kiba. It was comforting to Sakura that she could see Ruka with her walls down.

"I see it," Sakura thought as she smiled, before continuing to eat her ramen.