CHAPTER THREE: THE FAMILY ACT (Part III)

While we were in Las Vegas, Randy developed a facial tic, and Mother wanted him to see a doctor. Everyone we spoke to recommended one of Elvis Presley's personal physicians. We weren't aware of their reputations for overprescribing drugs. Security chief Bill Bray, however, knew all too well. When the doctor came to see Randy, Bill told him firmly, "Listen, I don't want you giving this kid things he doesn't need."

We had no idea what he was referring to, because not one of the Jacksons had ever tried drugs. I think our having seen so many great artists destroyed by substance abuse had as much to do with our personal abstinence as did our strict upbringing. Certainly seeing its effect on Elvis made a strong impression.

One night all of us went to see his show at the Sahara in Lake Tahoe and could tell right away something was wrong with him. Elvis moved heavily and awkwardly, sometimes slurring his words. After the final encore we went backstage, and what we witnessed was incredibly sad: the great singer pacing back and forth manically, like he had too much energy pulsating through his body. As soon as he saw us, though, he stopped, and his face lit up.

"You guys are incredible," he said kindly. "You started so young, it's really somethin'." Elvis spoke knowledgeably about the guys' records, obviously having listened to them. At one point he remarked, "You know, all this rock and roll, it started with the blacks." Having heard rumors that Elvis was racist, my siblings and I were pleased to discover otherwise.

But when we all shook his hand good-bye and left the backstage area, we looked at one another. "My God, he's a legend, and everybody loves him, but look at how drugged he is," Jermaine observed. Two-plus years later, Elvis was dead. We were all saddened, naturally, but not shocked. Unfortunately, backstage scenes like this replayed themselves countless times over the years with too many other performers, among them the great Marvin Gaye. It was hard for us to understand why anyone would waste their talent with drugs. For the Jackson kids, no lesson in prevention could have been more effective.

Our family act was completed when my oldest sibling, Rebbie, joined. Slim and pretty, she was talented too, having won a dance contest when she was just four. For years Rebbie claimed to have no desire to enter the "family business." Her abrupt change of heart surprised Michael and me, and provided us with some chuckles as well, because when I became a singing Jackson, my devout sister had taken me to task. "How can you do this?" she had asked, a bit self-righteously. "You know you're not supposed to perform; the Jehovah's Witness teachings forbid it." But since joining us, Rebbie has stayed in show business.

      During a run in Las Vegas, our security staff informed us they'd received an anonymous threat on Michael's life. We'd received so many before, but this one was chillingly different. The would-be assassin specified the night he planned to strike, and security took this very seriously. After weighing the risks, it was decided the show would go on. Or, I should say, it was decided for us. Performers are contractually bound to perform. Promoters and hotel owners don't want to hear about entertainers' problems, not even if they concern possible assassinations. All we could do was hire the best security and pray. Though the place crawled with security, everyone was gravely concerned about Michael's safety.

That night while my brother was singing, Rebbie suddenly declared to me in the dressing room, "I am not going on that stage. Do you realize I can get shot?"

I rarely get angry at my brothers and sisters, but this made me furious. "Rebbie, how can you be so selfish? Michael's going to be out there two hours straight and could be killed any minute. You'll be out there for four minutes, tops. And you're worried? Come on."

"But what if they decide to get him while I'm right next to him?" she retorted in panic. I thought to myself, Maybe Rebbie isn't as ready for show business as she thinks. These terrifying threats had become a way of life for the rest of us.