𝟗» sᴍᴇʟʟs ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛᴇᴇɴᴀɢᴇ ᴀɴɢsᴛ

"As if my skin weren't to cloak me from the storm

And I need your hands,
To lie here in this ground.
And I need your heart here, so I can hear the sound,
Of my own.."

~ Your hands// Michael Malarkey

THE ROMAN EMPEROR NERO WAS INFAMOUS FOR HIS CRUELTY

THE ROMAN EMPEROR NERO WAS INFAMOUS FOR HIS CRUELTY. If one were to believe the scholar Tacitus, after the Great Fire had ravaged two-thirds of the city, Nero threw a garden party as a distraction. He invited all of the Roman elites. Anyone who was anyone was there. But as the night dawned, the Emperor realized he had a problem—it had grown quite dark. So as to provide for his desired nightly illumination, Nero had all the criminals and the lowlifes set aflame.

I remembered the indignation I felt when I first heard the story out of Tanner's mouth. Same nausea had its claws in me since the moment I was handed the pictures. They now lay in my lap in the backseat of the Impala, tucked inside Wes Maxfield's very detailed journal.

Since the 50s, the Augustine had been regularly auctioning vampires to scientifically curious minds for their research. Scientists, Sadists, Sociopaths. When you bought another person, you were just the same.

"Don't do that to yourself, love," Enzo's hands snatched the journal away before I could protest. He turned it over and scoffed at the quote on its backside. "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.

"What?" questioned I curiously, stirring in my seat to face him. He looked so much younger now that he had showered and fed. His hair was also shorter. "You don't agree?"

He clicked his tongue. "Happiness can't be chased. It is up to us to create our own happiness. You can't wait for it to just come to you. That's not how life works."

I caught Dean's eyes in the rearview. He continued to be apprehensive of Enzo. It had nothing to do with who he was personally, but what he was. He and Same had agreed to help Damon for make. He didn't give two shits about the vampires.