𝟏𝟕» ʜᴏᴘᴇ ɪs ᴀ ᴅᴀɴɢᴇʀᴏᴜs ᴛʜɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ᴀ ᴡᴏᴍᴀɴ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ʜᴀᴠᴇ

"You're my world, you're every breath I takeYou're my world, you're every move I makeOther eyes see the stars up in the skiesBut for me they shine within your eyes

You're my world, you're every move I make
Other eyes see the stars up in the skies
But for me they shine within your eyes."

~ You're my world//Cilla Black

DAMON'S POV

It was early morning when I trudged into the Forbes house, startling the blonde in the foyer. Hand on her heart, she huffed out my name which sounded like a cuss from her mouth. 

"Geez, my sister didn't have to pull the devil out of hell to be our chauffeur," Caroline cheekily commented.

"Don't flatter yourself, blondie. Your mother called me." I blurted out, regretting my tone as she whipped past me. "Wait."

Pressing my thumb and index finger against my forehead, I tried to ease the tension before turning around. Caroline stood with her arms crossed, wearing her signature scowl reserved only for me.

"I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, but..." the weight of my words lay heavy on my tongue. "I truly am sorry for hurting you like that. If I could change the past, I would."

Caroline blinked, the hostility in her eyes morphing into utter shock. Her gaze searched my face as if waiting for me to burst out laughing. I stood frozen, eyes cast downward in shame.

"I, uh, don't know what to say," she chuckled disbelievingly. "And it's weird because I had a whole speech ready."

"That's okay," assured I. "I'm not expecting anything from you. I just wanted you to know I meant every word."

"I do want to believe you, Damon," she said my name tenderly this time. "But words don't matter, actions do. So if you want my forgiveness, you have to work for it. And that means more than helping my sister make your brother jealous."

I simply nodded in understanding. I didn't blame her. I wouldn't trust myself either.

"You're here. Good." Sheriff Forbes descended the stairs, with her elder daughter trailing behind. "Caroline, give us a minute, please."