|I{•------» [20] «------•}I|

"What?" Sakura exclaimed when Kakashi announced to their team that he nominated all of them to participate in the Chunin Exams. Ruka gave the pinkette a questioning brow. Was this the same pink-haired female who had complained about not being properly informed about the exams a mere day ago?

But to Ruka, Naruto had the strangest reaction towards the news that Kakashi had just given them. Instead of bursting out with excitement, he merely clutched his stomach and let out an amused chuckle. "Nice one, sensei! You almost had us there."

Kakashi shook his head at the oblivious blond before reaching into the small bag clasped around his waist and producing three papers, which confused the brunette. "You'll have to fill out these applications first, though."

Naruto quickly lunged forward to wrap the startled teacher in a tight hug. "Thank you, Kakashi-sensei! I love you."

"Get off," Kakashi grunted as he attempted to shrug off Naruto's embrace, only to curse himself when the blond tightened his grip in response.

He glared at Naruto as he not only handed out the application forms but also began to mutter his findings on the paper aloud for them to hear. "In any case, the exam is completely voluntary, so those of you who do not want to compete don't have to feel obligated to do so."

"The exams aren't something you rush into; you don't even have to turn in those applications unless you really want to. I recommend you guys to think everything through before you make your choice. But if you do choose to compete, report to room 301 at the academy by four tomorrow afternoon."

Ruka glanced at her friends who received the paper in confusion, but her voice interrupted them. "Where's mine?"

Kakashi's eye landed on Ruka with a small smile playing underneath his masked mouth. "Your grandfather gave you a choice to compete with or without the three of them, while he and the elders also encouraged you to go into the exams alone."

"Huh..." Ruka muttered as Sakura began to look at her worriedly. If she did want to compete in the exams, she would be really worried, knowing that Ruka wouldn't be with them.

"So, have you decided?"

That was the first thing her grandfather asked the moment she ventured into the large kitchen of the main house of the Sarutobi compound, hardly allowing her a moment to discard her satchel and headband into the brown bowl near the far end of the counter that proudly sported her name in large blue letters.

Ruka remained silent as she sauntered past him and her uncle towards the sink, where she made quick work of washing her hands and drying them off. She only continued after she had disposed of the now-wet cloth and still felt their gaze boring into the back of her head. "The marriage or the exam?"

The two Sarutobi males looked at her in confusion. "Both?" Hiruzen said, playing along.

"I've decided to marry Maito Gai once I've become a Jonin, and then we'll have three kids. He will still be doing missions while I become a stay-at-home mom, and that's my happy ending," she said as she maneuvered her way past her uncle, who stared at her in bafflement. "What?!" Asuma's onyx eyes bore into hers to find out if she was kidding about marrying the eccentric bowl-cut friend. He would expect Genma or even Kakashi.

But much to his disappointment, his close student wasn't even in the choice. "A-are you sure? Your kids will look like a... kappa with

that bowl haircut."

Hiruzen suppressed his laugh before focusing his attention on the heiress. "Well, I'm sure you'll be happy, Ruka, but I'm asking about the exam."

"I did." She hopped onto the counter, a shiny red apple in her hand. "I'll be competing with them." Hiruzen smiled at her answer happily. He had assumed she would be competing alone, but he was glad that she decided to join her friends.

"Are you sure you want to marry Gai? Not that I hate him, but... he's Gai!" There was a demanding tone in his voice as he took another step closer to her, only to halt mid-step when her blue eyes narrowed at his words.

"I'm kidding." Ruka released a tired sigh as she set her apple aside, reaching up to tuck her brown hair across her front, a single hand combing through the straight silky strands. "I'm not going to marry him." She hopped down from her perch on the counter, patting his arm in comfort as she walked past him before snatching his newly bought cigarettes and chucking them into the garbage bin, paying no attention to his protest. "I'm going to marry Choji." She said as she left the kitchen.

Asuma's smile began to fade at the thought of her marrying Choji. His face paled when he realized that he would likely be broke if Ruka married Choji.

Hiruzen watched his son in amusement as Asuma dived towards the large garbage bin and chucked the lid to the side, his hands instantly finding the still-plastic-wrapped pack of cigarettes. He pulled the small pack in relief as he fell to the kitchen floor, until a sudden poof filled the air, followed deftly by a large cloud of smoke that obscured his gaze. He glanced down at his packet of cigarettes to find himself clutching the shiny red apple instead.