V: Intervention

He stuck out his hand for Inokori to shake. It wasn't confident at all and would more be described as clunky, chary, and childlike.

Inokori took it and shook it like you would expect someone to shake someone's hand; a good handshake: firm, brief, and friendly.

The two let go and Yoshitaka was about to dart out the door when Inokori opened his mouth. "If you wanted to watch me then why didn't you do it while you had your prep time? I cannot imagine detention is the best time to watch a teacher." Inokori started walking towards his desk to do something. Maybe collect his things or get ready for the second day of school. He looked towards Yoshitaka who was still just awkwardly standing by the doorway. "Pardon me, but...why weren't you wearing your school-given lanyard?

"Oh." Sora snapped him a quick smile that bared his teeth and was a little too big to be genuine. "Um...I guess I wanted to blend in?" His shoulders shifted upwards, smooshing into his cheeks.

Inokori sighed, rubbing his temples with his thumbs and index finger. He looked at the outside vegetation when he mumbled something.

"What was that?" Sora Yoshitaka took a few steps away from the door.

Inokori removed his hand from his face and turned to the other teacher. "I said, 'I know you don't like me, you can stop pretending' or whatever you are trying to do." He motioned at Sora with a vague and unsteady hand. Though it reminded Yoshitaka of a professional ice skater's arm; it was straight and expressive.

"T-that's not true," he argued with another voice cracking his words—maybe he hadn't fully grown up after all. "I lo—no. I like you—as a friend."

What are you doing? You can't just confess to him the first day you see him, plus he doesn't remember you—yet!

Sora Yoshitaka stepped over to Inokori and took the initiative to hold his hand like the man had done back then. Inokori looked at him with a puzzled face but he didn't say anything nor did he try to remove his hands from Yoshitaka's who held them captive. "You were the most loving teacher I knew. You could make a C+ look like a golden star or medal and an A- feel like a slap in the face. You made your students question, wonder, and critique the world around them. You could captivate and motivate the most suborn of people."

Sora Yoshitaka's olive eyes were as lively as a jungle as he talked and Inokori couldn't stop watching him. When Sora got out of his ranting about how great his crush is—or was—he quickly let go of Inokori's hands and covered his pink face. "I'm so sorry—I got carried away." He took a step. "I should be going home."

A hand grabbed his as it swung in his gait. "Wait."

Yoshitaka turned around in front of the sea of desks. "No one has said those things to me for a long time and from someone, I don't really know." His eyes were the night sky with all of its stars skating in the darkness. He smiled.

He smiled.

Inokori smiled.

"I would love to be friends with you, Mister Yoshitaka."

Yoshitaka could only manage a simple smile on his person, but inside he was a melted mess of joy. "I would love that too."

Inokori let go of Yoshitaka's hand. The new English teacher walked slowly to the door, that is until he surpassed and closed the thing. After that, he ran all the way home. He couldn't wait to express his joy by shouting and other hooligan activities.

"He wants to be my friend!" His hands were up in the arm in fists and he felt like a million bucks.

***

Mister Yoshitaka walked into New Hope with a bright grin on his face. His lanyard replaced any tie that he never wore. He said "hello" to Miss Phonic and helped carry Miko's bag up the stairs—even the boy was wearing a smile that day.

At the door of E-2, he stood, listening to the curt bell ringing through the school. Inokori would start his class any second now. Hopefully, he wouldn't mind if Yoshitaka took up on his offer (that he never truly offered) to sit and watch a class so early. He didn't even get a chance to collect the man's phone number because of his excitement.

He opened the door and everyone stared at him, including Inokori who raised an eyebrow at him. He tried to look nonchalant as he walked to the back once again and sat down at an empty desk. Most of the student's gazes couldn't reach him because he was behind them all, but as soon as Inokori understood what was happening he acted as if Yoshitaka wasn't there.

"Now Class, do you like your teacher or not?" The normal fake chorus of "yeah" and "yes"s followed suit. "Anybody holding back or didn't nod, I'll see you when school is done." He wrote some names and Yoshitaka noticed that a particular student that he saw that yesterday's detention didn't even open her mouth. The girl was near the back so if he really wanted to and tried hard he could maybe talk to her during the lesson.

Soft noises of zippers sliding and metal clicking filled the air. Sora opened his bag and looked around. All of the students had gotten a composition notebook out along with a pencil and eraser. He brought out his own notebook—which was used to plan the upcoming classes—plus a pencil and eraser.

He had written on the board the word 'Redorric'. "Does anyone know what this word means?" Yoshitaka knew a lot about Retorric because he had to plan a whole week's work or lessons for the topic so instead of taking notes on the word written in chalk he instead tools notes on Inokori. That was why he was in the man's classroom.

Right?