Nostalgia

Nostalgia
A One-Shot

Genre:

𝑰 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒘𝒆 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒅𝒓𝒆𝒏.

After constant rain for three days, the weather had turned chilly.

But that didn't deter that five-year-old boy from going out to play and dragging his sister along as his guardian.

It didn't stop five-year-old Ayra from whining to her older brother either so he would take her to the park, which was only a seven-minute walk away.

However, Abdullah was less than happy about having to go out while Dua's spirits were high as she held the main gate open for her younger brother, Saad, to bring out his small yellow bike that he would ride down the road to the park.

At the same time, the gate of the house on the opposite side of the house pushed open as well, revealing Abdullah and Ayra who brought out her pink bicycle and happily waved at Saad who waved back.

It planted a seed, although very small, of hope in Dua's heart that maybe Abdullah would tag along with them.

"Dua!" He called out, passing a small smile to her and waving at her before calling her over. Checking both sides of the road for any vehicles, her and Saad crossed the road to stand on the pavement of Abdullah's house.

"You're both going to the park, right?"

She nodded, holding back the urge to grin. He was coming along with her— "Alright, would you mind taking Ayra along? I've got assignments to complete."

Hope = Crushed.

Her smile faltered. "Of course I wouldn't. But, Abdullah, it doesn't hurt to take your sister sometimes." Every time Ayra had to go the park, it would always be Dua who would take her, and Saad.

Abdullah seemed to be getting a little frustrated as he ran his hand through his hair, messing up the already disheveled mop of dark hair. "I would, but I've got assignments to complete, Dua. I told you that."

"You think I don't have anything else to do? I've got just as much work as you— in case you've forgotten we're classmates— but I'm here, aren't I? Leave it, you won't understand." She angrily grabbed onto the little girl's hand, tugging her and her cycle toward herself.

Before Abdullah could manage a word out, Dua had already taken the two kids and stepped onto the roads, stuffing her cold hands in her pockets. She let out a sigh, white smoke leaving her lips.

"You look sad." Ayra noted, glancing over her shoulder at Dua who walked behind them.

She forced a smile and shook her head. "I'm not sad, sweetheart. Look forward when riding a bike, okay?" Though, Ayra didn't seem convinced, she still turned around and focused on the road.

"Saad, move to the left. You're practically in the middle of the road." She tugged the boy's sleeve, pulling up closer. The football that he had set on the back of his cycle almost tumbled off.

In minutes, the three of them had reached the park. The kids ran off, laughing while Dua set their bicycles aside securely, ensuring they wouldn't be in anyone's way.

As Ayra and Saad kicked the football around, chased it, and fell over a few times, Dua strolled around the park and kept an eye on them, letting out a few wistful breaths.