Chapter 5

"Bye Mary! Bye Goldie!" Bailey barked. Mary was getting better at understanding longpaw words.
Where is Bailey going? There were still so many words that Mary didn't know. Bailey left to get on a long yellow loudcage. Bailey's mother and father, as usual, left to go somewhere called "work".
Mary and Goldie were left alone in the longpaw home. Mary chewed on her toy and took a nap. When she woke up, Bailey still wasn't back.
That's when she noticed something. Something the longpaws always use when they leave. They call it a shoe. It was sitting on the floor of Bailey's den. It's like it was calling to her. Never before had a shoe looked so amazing. She felt the need to chew it into pieces.
Maybe if I chew it, Bailey won't leave again.
No.
I have my toy, and that is good enough.
But Mary couldn't resist it. She slowly crept across the den and carefully picked up the shoe in her jaws.
I shouldn't do this.
But it was too good. The shoe had a lovely rubbery taste. She just couldn't stop herself. She started chewing.
It's not food. I can't eat it.
But she still tried. She chewed and chewed for the longest time. Then, the door opened.
"Mary, Goldie! I'm home!"
Bailey is back! She's never been gone for that long!
Mary rushed to the door to greet Bailey with licks and happy barks. Goldie came, too.
"I missed you two so much!" Bailey barked.
She went to her den to put down her bag.
Oh no.
Mary then realized all the damage she'd done. The shoe was torn to pieces. What was once blue and white was now a mostly blue clump covered in slobber. Bailey can't even wear it anymore.
I hope she doesn't notice.
But it was too late.
"Oh no my shoe! Who did this!" Bailey barked in disbelief.
"Mary! What have you done?" Goldie whined.
Mary knew what she had to do. She stepped forward with her head hanging low. Her tail was tucked between her hind legs. She whined, then rolled onto her back to show her belly.
"Mary! Bad dog!" Bailey growled.
.        .       .   

When Bailey's mother and father got home, they scolded her, too.
After all the yelling was done, she heard them whispering. She couldn't tell everything they were saying, but she recognized some things like "too big" and "not ready". They also mentioned something called a pound.
Mary was worried. Was the punishment not over yet?