chapter one

As usual, I woke up five minutes before my 5:30 AM alarm. Reaching over to the clock on my nightstand, I turn off the alarm and sit up in bed. I chuckle slightly as I elongate my limbs into a stretch...the same kind of stretch I've done since I was a child and that everyone in my family says reminds them of a fox. They shouldn't be surprised. It's natural for me. A knock came from my door as I was opening my curtains and windows. I turned around as they poked their head in.

  "Ohayo imoutochan!" my brother grinned. "I know there's no need, but I'm just checking you're awake. Wouldn't want to be late on your first day at a new school."

I smiled gently.

  "Ohayo oniichan. Yes yes, I'm up."

After routinely making my bed, misting my bonsai tree, and lighting incense, I headed to my bathroom to get ready for the day. I showered, brushed my teeth, did my skincare and styled my hair into my signature braided bun with a gold ribbon. Once dressed, I checked myself in the mirror. The black skirt, white shirt, black bow, and maroon blazer felt foreign to me. Darn...I was already missing the signature uniform of my old school. Pulling my socks up to my knees, I made my way to the kitchen where Obaasan was making breakfast. I kissed her cheek and she patted my head carefully, being mindful of my hair. My brother and I ate together at the table with her before he dashed off to meet our father at work. While she went to gather a tub of meat, I washed the dishes. We slipped on some outdoor shoes and I offered her my arm as we leisurely walked towards the sanctuary at the bottom of our family estate.

   As we approached the gate, she waited for me to open it for her.

  "Are you excited for your first day?" she smiled kindly as I let her through, relinking her arm through mine once I had closed it behind me.

  "I suppose so," I shrugged. "I'll miss all my old friends but it shouldn't be too hard to make new ones."

She hummed in response.

  "Do you know which club you want to join?"

I shrugged again and she playfully slapped my arm.

  "Show some enthusiasm when you talk to your dear Obaachan, child," she scolded.

Laughing, I smiled down at my beloved grandma.

  "Well I doubt they'll have clubs for my traditional hobbies so maybe it's time to try something new."

She nodded as we walked to the bench. I steadied her as she sat down before sitting beside her. When she started tossing the mixture of meats in various directions, our resident foxes began to gather. A pure white one with gold eyes came and sat beside me on the bench, watching over her family. My fingers brushed through her fur and she closed her eyes in contentment.

  "She looks just like you, you know," Obaachan smiled fondly. "She was a gift from the mountains and your father later named you after her."

I scrunched my nose up slightly.

  "I've always felt a strange connection to her," I admitted. "I can't stop thinking about when I'll change."

Once she had finished distributing the meat, she disposed of her gloves and gently patted my hand.

  "Everything will happen when the time is right," she assured.

***

   We pulled up outside Inarizaki High School and I thanked our family driver as he opened the door for me. Students lingering by the gates stopped and stared at me causing me to shift around uncomfortably. Taking a deep breath, I smiled at him and he bowed slightly before leaving. I stood straighter before walking towards the office to get my things. My phone buzzed in the pocket of my skirt and I briefly checked the notification. It was a text from my cousin informing me that he was waiting for me by the office. Luckily, I'd already toured the school beforehand so I knew where I was going. The fact that my cousin had a very distinctive scent just reaffirmed the directions in my mind.