28: '86 baby

Chapter 28

Mollie (pov)

March 1986

"Eddie, let's go! We're gonna be late!"

He lets out a grunt from my bed. Him staying the night at my place on a school night really isn't his best choice but he wanted me to go over the last few details of his campaign for tonight and amongst other things.

"Eddie! I'm serious, we promised Lucas we'd be at the pep rally for him!"

He let out another grunt and a moan telling me to get back in bed with him, I'm not conceding this time. Last time I did, we almost got suspended because we were so late to school. I stood my ground in my doorway. The only way I was moving was for him to get ready quickly.

"Ed's please, come on. Just at least get out of bed."

He finally got out of bed, still in his jeans from yesterday and shirtless. All of his tattoos were visible at this point. "Why does the school have the stupid pep rally at seven in the morning anyway? It would've been more convenient to have it after."

"Yeah, I know it's early. But we promised him we'd be there. Now go get ready."

"Yes ma'am," he said, taking my hand and back onto the bed with me on top of him. That's a new tactic, I'll applaud it for now.

"Mmm, babe, we really gotta get going," I said, with him leaving marks all along my neck and collar bone. "Didn't you get enough last night?"

"Yeah, but I kinda wanted some more right now."

"M'kay but I'm still sore so, it's a no."

He huffed and then compiled to freshen up and hurry to school. Once we got there I had to drag him to the gym. There was no space for us in the bleachers so we stood on the side. The principal announced the championship team for this year and all of us cheered as they ran in.

"Good morning Hawkins High!," Carver said into the microphone. And getting receptive cheers from the other students.

"First off, I'd like to thank each and every one of you. Without your support, we wouldn't be here. Give yourselves a big hand! And of course, I have to give a special shout-out to the best and prettiest fans of all time, the Tiger Cheer Squad!"

"None of them are as pretty as you, babe," Eddie whispered in my ear.

"Oh okay, I beg to differ. But I appreciate the compliment," I said.

Carver continued his speech with, "Chrissy, I love you, babe. You know, I think I can speak for all of us when I say it's been a tough year for Hawkins. So much loss. And sometimes I wonder 'how much loss can one community take.' In dark days like this, we need something to believe in.

'So, last night, when we were down by ten points at the half to Christian Academy, I looked at my team, and I said, 'Think of Jack. Think of Milissa. Think of Heather. Think of Billy. Think about our heroic police chief Jim Hopper. Think about each and every one of our friends that perished in that fire. What did they die for? For us to lose to some crap school? No. For us to return home with our heads hung low in defeat? No! Let's win this game. Let's win this game for them.' And that's exactly what we did!"

I wanted to walk out of the gym right then and there. Only a select few people actually know what happened at the mall. I told Eddie only bits and pieces of that night and he never brought it up again. I was here for Lucas to support him, I didn't want to leave but all the memories that Carver brought to my conscience kicked in my fight or flight response. We were close enough to the door for the two of us to slip out undetected by the teachers.