nineteen

4 months later
December

Tommy, Finn, Isiah, and Elsie sat around Tommy's kitchen table eating the food that was brought out to them. Finn and Isiah were talking about some girls they had slept with the previous night while Tommy read the newspaper and Elsie swirled beans around her plate.

The past few months had been nice, but Elsie was still angry with Tommy for what had happened. Tommy graciously invited the three teenagers to live with him but Elsie figured it was so that he wasn't alone. She didn't know Tommy well but knew that he was probably just as angry as herself for what had happened.

"Elsie, stop playing with your food," Tommy grunted. "Eat it."

Elsie rolled her eyes and took a bite. She loved beans and toast but something was different. It smelled funny. It tasted gross. She crinkled her nose and spit it back out.

"Ew, Elsie, what the fuck?" Finn exclaimed in disgust.

Elsie stood up to grab the pitcher of water, but froze. Instead, she bolted to the sink and a nasty bile taste filled her mouth. Finn and Isiah grimaced as they listened to the sound of her puking.

Tommy put his newspaper down and walked over to her. "You alright, El?"

"I'm fine," she panted.

Tommy eyed her once more and then looked at the boys. "Everyone ready for work?"

Finn and Isiah nodded and looked at the girl once more before walking out to the car.

"Elsie, you can stay home today," Tommy said, leaning against the counter.

"No, it's alright. Someone has to do the books. I don't want to fall behind," she assured him, rinsing her mouth out.

Tommy cleared his throat and sighed. "So are you..."

Elsie scoffed. "It's the beans, Tommy."

"Right, well. In London-"

"Nothing happened in London, Thomas." Elsie abruptly waved him off.

Nothing happened in London.

"We never talked about it, El-"

Elsie flipped around and stared him in the eye. "Nothing. Happened."

Tommy nodded slowly and walked away. "Alright, let's go to work."

- - -

Elsie sat in the side office running the numbers. Business had been up, despite the missing Shelby members. Between her and Tommy the business had been running smoothly. She had thrown up at least 6 times more in the bin, but nobody had noticed. Elsie closed her eyes with worry.

Nausea. Sensitivity to smells. A missing monthly bleed.

Fuck.

She stood up and locked the office door, before walking to the tall mirror in the corner of the room. She untucked her blouse and lowered her skirt, revealing a slight bump.

Fuck.

The men outside erupted in cheers. She furrowed her brows and quickly tucked her blouse in, running to the door and opening it to see what the commotion was.

Michael Gray.

Michael stood before her, his hair tussled in different directions and his outfit disheveled. He looked skinnier and ... hallow. Like the light behind his eyes was gone.

"Michael?" she croaked. Michael looked at her like an abused puppy. He didn't move towards her and kept his hands in his pockets.

"Michael." Tommy's voice came from behind her and Michael's hallow eyes turned into a different color. Not hallow, no. Angry. In one swift movement he threw a punch at Tommy.

"Michael!" Elsie yelled as she and Isiah tried to wrestle him away. Tommy didn't fight back. He took it. Michael flailed his arm away from Elsie and took another swing at Tommy. Isiah tried to move him away, but failed. Michael cocked his arm back again, only this time he hit Elsie in the stomach.

"Fuck!" Elsie grabbed her stomach and moved back. Michael carried on with his assault, unaware of his actions with none of the men daring to step in.

"Elsie!" Tommy yelled, now using his strength to hold Michael's wrists to calm him down. "She's with child, for fucks sake!"

Michael immediately pulled back from Tommy. He flipped around and stared at Elsie. His angry eyes softened to happiness.

"You're pregnant?" he gasped.

"Congratulations! What the fuck, Elsie why didn't you tell me?" Isiah said, smacking Michael on the shoulder. "I'll ask my dad to pray you don't fuck up your child, Mickey."

Michael engulfed Elsie into a hug. "I'm so sorry. Fuck, I'm sorry."

Tommy straightened his posture and looked at Elsie. She quickly looked away and Tommy watched as Michael kissed her.

"Michael, go back to the house and straighten up. Elsie, a word please."

"Jesus, Tom. He doesn't even get a day off?" Isiah said in disbelief.

"No rest for the wicked," Tommy shrugged.

"It's alright. There must be a lot to catch up on," Michael smiled. He kissed Elsie on the cheek and walked away.

"You didn't tell me you shagged Michael!" Finn cried out.

"I caught them once," Isiah snickered. Elsie punched him on the shoulder before Tommy cleared his throat.

"A word Elsie."