Chapter 5

V

"Oh, Darwin!" said Bernard Baal, once we were all back in the Yucatan room and standing around the professor's body again.

            "Yes. You can say that again," said Zeus.

            "I cannot believe this. How the hax did it even happen?" said Baldr.

            "I think the physical and mechanical aspects of it are pretty obvious even to them layman, Alan," said Dr. Julian Ra.

            "I know that! I meant where were the rest of you?" said Baldr. "Did no one even hear him cry out?"

            "No. I already asked," said Mirabi, standing up. She had been crouching by the body, using her wristcom to run a full scan of the knife. "And he may not have had time. It would have been very quick," she added to Megan Uzume, who nodded sadly. Her eyes were still teary. "The murder weapon's clean."

            "Really?" said Ishtar. "It doesn't look very..."

            "She means there's no evidence on it, Max," said Isabel Chernobog.

            "Correct," said Mirabi. "Whoever it was was smart enough to douse it with brandy straight afterwards. That's what the dark stain on his jacket is. A good way to kill any DNA."

            "Fingerprints?" I said. They were an ancient means of identification, but they had served us well in the past.

            "Some, but they're all too smudged," said Mirabi. "We'll never get any matches."

            "Ah," said Ra. "I'm afraid that might be my fault. I did touch it. I was going to pull it out before... before I realised he was gone."

            "Oh, brilliant, Julian. Good going," said Baldr.

            "I was rather shaken. I defy you to do better in the same situation," said Ra.

            "Gentlemen, please," said Zeus, stepping between them. "We've got more important things to worry about right now. Like who's going to take over all his classes for a start."

            "David!"

            "I still want to know how this happened," said Baldr. He turned to Anubis. "Exactly what have you and those swashbuckling ruffians you call a security team got to say for yourselves, Captain? You're meant to be here to protect us. How does some complete stranger march in here and..."

            "We were hired to act as a rescue team on your backsteps, Doctor," said Anubis, folding his arms. "No one mentioned that intruders in the present were a possibility."