Chapter 5

The house was quiet, but then, it always was when they were gone.

Fallen didn't know where, he was never privy to that sort of information and he wasn't about to ask now.

Thankfully he didn't have the cafe today, although Darcy had already sent a message this morning asking some sort of question that, in all honesty, Fallen thought was just common sense.

He liked Darcy though, he just thought maybe someone at retirement age would know those sorts of things.

But then Fallen was smart, even if he didn't know it all the time. Information just seemed to stay in his head, if he read something, he could learn it.

The stairs creaked on his way up the stairs, thinking that maybe there was just a bit too little noise coming from up the stairs.

The banister needs screwing still, if Fallen was being honest, even if he said he'd do it, he would probably forget.

He reached Elbina's bedroom door, pushing it open just a little more.

"How are you getting along?" He said, popping his head through the gap in the door. Elbina sat at her desk, hands on her head and shoulders slumped as she stared at the computer screen in front of her.

No response has Fallen's smirk forming, before suddenly knocking rigorously on the wooden door.

She immediately jumps in her spot, her head turning sharply to his direction.

He regrets it, her frightened eyes and the shaky breath she lets out before she scowled at him sent a shift in his chest that felt more than uncomfortable.

He hides it well, turning into that same grin again. Fallen thought he could be quite good at hiding his emotions, particularly when it came to her.

"Fallen!"

He laughed, stepping a little further in, "Glad to see you concentrating... or zoning out."

"It's so boring." Her hands drag down her face, pulling at the skin so her face is all stretched downwards.

"All schoolwork is... but mum wanted you to do it so you're doing it."

She grumbled again, turning round in her seat to focus back on the screen. Her shoulders hunched again in concentration.

"Let me know if you need any help."

She turns her head to him, "But mum said-"

He cuts her off, "I know what she says, but you can ask me."

He sends her a small smile before stepping back out of the room and down the stairs.

Trying to forget her words, he walked into the kitchen, grabbing the bowls and spoons he'd forgotten to clean from the morning.

Things seemed to slip when his parents went away, he didn't have to worry about them.

It was probably because of that.

As the water fills up a little in the basin, his eyes flick over to the stack of spices. He notices a couple not quite facing forward, quickly adjusting them so they all sit just right.

With the thought of the spices, he considers dinner.

Did he have anything for it?

He leant over, pulling open the fridge.

Nothing of particular use, there's some milk and a half pack of eggs.

And he didn't feel like making a carbonara or anything like that.