Chapter 11

"Werecoyote, banshee, kanima and... kitsune?" Bella listed wearily, ticking off her fingers.

"You got it," Kova nodded.

They were both seated on Kova's bed, the door shut firmly as they murmured quietly. Charlie had gone to bed hours ago, but the younger Swans had too much on their minds to sleep. Edward had left to give them some time to talk, and both were grateful for the privacy. Edward would hear all about it in Kova's thoughts later anyway.

"And werewolf hunters," Bella snorted. Out of everything, that was the thing she found the most unbelievable.

"I can't believe you find that so hard to believe," Kova laughed.

"It's just... I don't know! It seems ridiculous," she laughed along with her cousin.

"I can't wait to see Jake again and talk werewolf shop," Kova mused. There it was again, the pain, hurt and guilt from Bella that was almost suffocating. Her laughter and smile faded, and Kova said, "What's going on between you two?"

"It's a... long story," Bella mumbled under her breath. "He's my best friend. But I hurt him, and he's not talking to me at the moment."

Kova searched her face carefully, scenting the grief she felt on the air and deciding to drop the subject for now. He had a feeling it had a lot to do with the Edward situation and what Charlie had said. If Bella and Jake really were best friends, their rocky patch wasn't bound to last. They let the silence stretch between them comfortably before Bella broke it.

"I'm glad you told me Koko," Bella said more seriously.

She reached for his hand, squeezing it tightly in her much smaller one. He returned the pressure, relieved that his cousin knew him for who he was now.

"Bella..." he started, not sure how to put what he wanted to say. "You know how dangerous it is to be in our world, right?"

Bella's face suddenly grew grave, and she seemed older than her years (as she so often did) as Kova read the experience in her eyes.

"Better than you know," she breathed, and Kova's heart squeezed painfully in his chest.

"Being human in the supernatural world is what lost me my mom," Kova said shakily, and Bella's breath hitched. "I can't lose you and Charlie too."

"It wasn't an animal attack... was it?" She swallowed, her concern and care filling Kova's nostrils.

"No," he answered simply. "And I came here to get away from the supernatural," he whispered hoarsely. "I had a whole pack in Beacon Hills, a whole family. But I wanted to leave the supernatural behind, it had cost me so much already... friends, my mom. It's why I chose to come to Forks."

Bella's sympathy, understanding and love was a powerful combination that nearly overwhelmed Kova.

"And your first day here, you discovered that Forks wasn't so normal after all," Bella sighed heavily. There was sympathy there, but her next words were a hard truth. "I'm sorry Kova, truly. But you are supernatural... you can't run from yourself."

Kova sucked in a sharp breath, knowing that she was right and hating it.

"I hate it when you're right," he said the familiar words with only a hint of malice.

"No, you just hate it when you're wrong," Bella shot back with her own familiar line, a smile pulling at her lips.

She released his hand and rose from the bed, always sensing when he needed space without him needing to say it out loud. She really was one of Kova's favourite people.