twelve: closure or payback

"WHY ARE YOU being like this?" Marcus wanted to know

I spun around, nearly dropping the whiskey bottle. I gingerly set it onto the counter, taking a deep breath before saying, "Being like what, Marcus?"

His eyes traveled to the liquor, and I instantly felt my face heat up. "I was only going to pour one finger," I said in a small voice.

Where the fuck had he come from? I thought. Like a coward, I'd hidden in the study and missed lunch. Several hours later, I thought I was in the clear.

"I'm not talking about that, although you really are like a fish, aren't you?" Marcus shook his head like a disapproving father. "I was referring to your...abrasiveness with Simone earlier. How do you think you'll make inroads with her if you keep butting heads with her?"

"Gods, you talk like an eighteenth-century duke sometimes," I muttered, "and I met some. Wasn't a fan."

He wrinkled his nose at me. "I don't need you to be a fan of mine. I need you to try harder with your daughter. Is that really too much to ask?"

"Do you think I want to be this way?" I couldn't meet his eye just then. "I...I can't be Susan. I wouldn't even know where to begin."

Shock flickered in his eyes. "Dahlia, no one is asking you to be Susan Fitzpatrick. I doubt Simone even truly needs parents any longer, but she does need someone to help her navigate this world. Our world."

"Well, she doesn't want me to help her."

"She said that?"

"No, but she doesn't have to." I sighed. "Look, Marcus. The two of you are obviously starting to build a great relationship together, and I'm happy for you. I really am. You've wanted this forever, so...I'm glad it's beginning to work out."

He eyed me warily. "I feel a but coming on."

"But I don't think – no, I know that Simone doesn't want anything to do with me. And I'm okay with that. Well, I'm trying to be." I lifted my shoulders in a way I hoped looked casual. "I deserve it."

"Don't say that."

"Why not? It's the truth. I -" The sound of my phone ringing cut me off. I pulled it out of the pocket of my hoodie and saw my sister's name flashing across the screen. "Excuse me, Marcus. I need to take this."

I didn't wait for a response from him. I took the steps two at a time until I got to my room, closing the door behind me. It still felt so strange to see Veena's caller ID on my phone after so long.

"Hey," I chirped into my phone.

"What's she like?" asked Veena, her voice tentative. "This daughter of yours."

Oh. My heart jumped a little in my chest. I knew how difficult those words had to be for her to say. It had been difficult for me to text her about it.