11. You Belong With Me

“I’ll close my eyes, then I won’t seeThe love you don’t feel when you’re holding meMorning will come and I’ll do what’s right Just give me till then to give up this fightAnd I will give up this fight”

The love you don’t feel when you’re holding me
Morning will come and I’ll do what’s right
Just give me till then to give up this fight
And I will give up this fight”

At this point I knew if I didn’t stop this, I would suffer from a serious headache. I have always read and heard of cases that singing helps to relieve stress and emotional pain, but honestly with what I’m seeing right now, I don’t think it’s working.

I watched as Kyra stood up to play the song all over again. I watched again as the song started and she began to sing along with it.

I didn’t know anything about music but I could tell that Kyra was absolutely off key. She sang the same verses again, in a ridiculously high tone. Honestly. I’m not even sure that could be classified as singing. It would be more appropriate if I said she shouted the lyrics into the poor microphone.

“Okay, that’s enough!” I stood up and grabbed the mic from her.

She lazily raised her head up, to stare at me. The room was dark but I could still tell that her eyes was puffy. She had been crying.

I sighed and sat down next to her. “Wanna talk about it?”

She didn’t answer, just blankly looked at the huge bright screen.

“Who was that guy? He seemed really important to you. Is he your ex?”

She glared at me. “Why should I tell you?”

“Um…”

“Why must you know everything about me?”

“I’m just curious. You don’t have to get mad.”

She sighed, I sighed. Maybe bringing her here wasn’t the best thing to do.

“Gimme the mic.” She reached out to grab the microphone away from me, but I just pulled it out of her grip.

“I want to sing.”

“You’ve sang enough. Let’s go home.”

“You go. I’m staying here.” She grumpily crossed her hand against her chest and pouted.

“Give it to me.”

“Fine. Let’s sing together.”

I pulled her up and grabbed another mic.
She scoffed, “Do you even know how to sing?”

“No, but neither do you.”

“Hey, don’t you dare question my singing skills. My voice is to die for.”

I raised a brow and handed her the mic, “Let’s see about that.”

I played a random song in the category she had chosen and watched as the lyrics began to load. To be honest, I have never done this before but I’m willing to, if it would make her less moody and grumpy.

“You’re on the phone, with your girlfriend
She’s upset she’s going off about something that you said”

Kyra started singing but I just watched her, trying to get the hang of it.

“But she wears short skirts”

“I wear T-shirts”

“She’s team captain”, she nodded her head, but I wasn’t sure if it was to the song or if she was trying to tell me that I’m doing it right.

“And I’m on the bleachers” I sang.

She gave me an encouraging smile. I guess I was doing it right.

We both sang together.

“Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find
That what you’re looking for has been here the whole time”

She turned to face me. I could feel so many emotions in her eyes. She sang:

If you could see
That I’m the one who understands you
Been here all along
So why can’t you see
You belong with me
You belong with me”

At that moment, when she was flipping her hair and jumping up and down to the beat of the song, the loud music and her horrible voice faded and all I could hear was my heart racing.

Just then did my heart skip a tiny little beat for the smile I managed to put on her face.

.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .      .     .    .     .    .      . 

“Just let me drink one glass

“Just let me drink one glass.”

“No, we’re going home. It’s getting late.”

“It isn’t that late. It’s just 8”

“Okay, fine. We’ll drink at home.”

“No. All you have at home is wine. I don’t want to drink wine.”

“I’ll get some bottles of alcohol on the way.”
She stopped groaning and finally agreed to follow me.

I panicked after feeling whatever that is. I tried to remind myself that I shouldn’t feel anything for her. Whatever is going on between us will end soon.

“What are we going to do when we get home?”

“I don’t know. We can play a game or something.”

She nodded and I drove us home in silence.
When we finally got home, I was surprised to find Kyra already asleep with her head on the door. How did I not notice this?

I tried my best to carry her to her room without waking her up. I wasn’t so successful, however.

Just as I was about to put her on the bed, she stirred and woke up.

“Austin,” she groaned. Her voice was so attractive when she was sleepy. I started to have inappropriate thoughts.
“Yeah?”

“We’re home, right?”

I nodded even though I knew her eyes were closed and she couldn’t see me.

“You said I could drink when I get home. And we would play a game.”

“Yeah, but you’re already asleep now.”

“No, I’m not.”  She tried to get up but her head fell on my chest.

“Hmm… you smell nice.”

My heart started to race again and I pushed her on the bed.

“We’ll play a game tomorrow. Just go to sleep for now.”

After I said that, I literally ran out of her room, making sure to shut the door.

.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .      .     .    .     .    .      . 
Word count: 943

What do you guys think about this song? Comment down below if you know who sang it.
Also, don't you think Austin is just so cute?