01

"The day you left I was never the same

"The day you left I was never the same."

༛༛ ༛ ༛༺༻༛ ༛ ༛༛

(warning: tissues may be needed.)

I told her it was a bad idea but she never listened. Why did she never listen? My grip was tight on the wheel as my foot pressed further on the gas pedal. The world was passing by quickly and my brain was starting to fog thinking the worst.

I come to a harsh stop pulling in where I could. Quickly jumping out of the car, closing the door behind me.

Grayson was standing outside talking on the phone. There was a serious look on his face but once he caught sight of me his call quickly came to an end.

"Where is she?" I questioned.

"Nathan is with her at the moment," he explains but he looks down.

"She's ok, right?" my throat tightens

He sent me a sympathetic smile, he looked like he didn't know what to say. " She's alive- But it's bad Lia."

My eyes started to glaze and I stepped back. I couldn't lose my best friend.

"I need to see her." I start to walk past him, but he gently grabs my hand to stop me from walking any further.

I look back at him.

"I don't know if that is a good idea," Grayson answers, not wanting his little sister to witness her best friend in the state she was in.

"Gray please, I need to see her," I begged.

He looked hesitantly towards the building letting out a sigh but looked back at me sending a small nod.

His hand rested at the bottom of my back as he direct me towards the run-down-looking building. It was a building that I had become familiar with within the last year. And it wasn't for its good reputation.

My breathing was unsteady.

Tears ran down my face as I looked at my older brother and he sent me a look as if to say whenever I'm ready.

Was I ready? I wasn't. But I don't think you'd ever be ready to see someone you love in that situation.

But I needed to do this. She needed me. And I would be there for her.

I walked into the room, to see her small figure lying in a pool of blood on the floor barely moving.

Nathan was sitting with her on the floor, with her head on his knees, playing with her hair, trying to soothe her to the best of his ability.

I gulped seeing a dagger embedded in her abdomen. My heart clenched seeing my best friend in such pain.

It should be me there. They were after me, not her. This was my fault.

Her head turns to me weakly hearing a new pair of footsteps enter the room, I could hear her hollow breathing, but I bit my lip and tried to stay strong for her.

"Hey stranger, fancy seeing you here" her voice was hoarse as she looked at me with tear-filled eyes and a weak smile. Only she would joke in a situation like this.

"Well, where else would I be silly?" I forced a smile kneeling next to her. "Though I thought we agreed that we were supposed to do dangerous shit together, huh?" a tear slid down my face and she raised her hand to wipe it away.

"I know it was a reckless move but he was planning on coming after you Lia.  What did you expect me to do?"

"Well, for one, I'd rather you not get yourself killed because of me."

"Hmm... died an honourable death. I like the sound of that. You should put that on my gravestone."

"You are not dying today Brooke."

"It's ok Lia. I'm not scared." there was a distant look on her face before she sent me a smile "I'll see mum and dad again."

"Don't leave me B. I need you here by my side."

"You'll be ok. You'll both be ok." Brooke says to me and then looks up at my brother.

I could see Nathan trying to stay strong for his girlfriend. He lifts her hand pressing a small kiss on it fighting back the tears that glazed his eyes. "The ambulance will be here any minute, B. Stay awake for me."

She gives him a small smile before looking back at me, "Thank you, Lia."

"For what?"

Her eyes looked heavy, she was about to answer but she suddenly started coughing up blood.

"For being my best friend," she says weakly.

Her eyes began to close.

"No, Brooke, don't close your eyes. Don't close your eyes." my brother cried his voice broken.

"Brooke? Brooke!?" he screamed out.

No. No. No no no no no. I stare at the brunette's lifeless body with tears trailing down my face. This wasn't supposed to happen.

My brother sobbed cradling his dead girlfriend in his arms.

I didn't know what to do. The world just seemed to stop. This was my fault. My fault. MY FAULT.

The loud sound of sirens echoed through my ears but I just stared at the wall.

It was too late.

I shook my head. "No."

I looked down at Brooke. No. This wasn't right.

"Brooke." my voice was a mere whisper. My brain was fighting the truth telling me that it wasn't real. She would wake up. She had to.

A broken sob left my mouth. I knew they were lies.

She was gone.

Brooke. My best friend. My rock. My soul sister.

Dead.

"Why didn't she listen."