Chapter 1:Doomed

*First Person, Shelby's POV*

Day 78 after the appocalipse hit the USA and turned most of the population into flesh eating freaks, or their victims. Luckily for me I knew the states better than the back of my own hand, as I grew up here with my brother but when I turned 19 left for the army, and was in Atlanta when the shit hit the fan. For days on end I have been held up in a department store, with the geeks constanly staring in the glass reminding me that if I try to leave they will consume me without hesitation. I've tried multiple times to leave and scavange for food and weapons but every time I open the door they come at me trying to knaw on my flesh to satasfy their need to kill the living. I honestly think if someone told me that the dead would rise and attack the living, I would call them batshit crazy. I'm starting to get really lonely in this hell hole and would kill for someone to talk to.

~~~~~~~~~

I was finally drifting off into a well needed slumber when I heard screaming. "Since when do walkers scream, but since when where there survivors other than me any where near the city" my mind wandered when I heard the screams again. That's when I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep anytime soon 'much to my despair', so I might as well go an check out where all the racket is coming from and see if I can help. I walked to the back of the store, lifting my pistol on my way and pushed the heavy metal emergency exit door open, to see a small group of people in formation taking turns to slay any walker that got to close to them. I stood still, delighted to see some form of possible company.

"OVER HERE!" I screamed, successfully getting their attention, I decided to help them out and raised my pistol and shot a walker that got too close to one of the women in the group. "ARE YOU COMING OR NOT!" I screeched finally seeing them coming towards me. I held the door for them so I could lead them into the main building were we would be safe. I stalked ahead of them motioning for them to follow me which they did until we got to the front desk. I turned to see six people, two woman and four men.

"Holy crap, thank you so much" a asian man with a baseball cap extended his hand which I glad to shake, "Name's Glen" he proceeded to introduce himself. Each in turn they introduced themselves. I figured out that the tall, slender blonde woman I had saved earlier was called Andrea. The tall dark-skinned woman was called Jacqui, the tall black man was called T-Dog, the hispanic looking man turned out to be called Morales. And the white hill-billy looking man was called Merle. Once they had stopped introducing themselves try looked at me, silently telling me to introduce myself.

"Shelby, Shelby Hunter" I introduced watching as Merle sniggered to himself.

"Find something funny?" I interrogated him.

"Oh nothing, you need to worry yourself about suga-tits" Merle laughed about his little nickname for me. I sought this as a chance to show I ain't one to be messed with. I walked up to him so there was little to no distance between us and placed my right hand on his chest, standing on my tip toes to be able to whisper in his ear.

"You call me that again, and I'll break all 37 bones in your hand, ya hear me?" I stated standing back to look at his shocked expression.

"I hear ya , but I must say I always loved a woman with authority" he smirked waiting on my expression to show.

"Keep your smart-ass comments for yourself Dixon" Andrea spoke up making me crack a smile.

"Just cause you a rug muncher ain't mean she is, and even if she is I love me a challenge" Merle continued staring at me licking his lips. He was seriously getting on my nerves one talking to me like that and two the facial expression that only told what he was thinking. I tried to control my anger but failed and flexed the muscles in my arm throwing my fist across Merle's with nothing but pure force. Hearing a much wanted crunch proved me right, I had dislocated his jaw. Wiping my hands on my jeans as I stared down and laughing at the tears welling up in his eyes.