chapter 2

Optimus helped Wheeljack and Ironhide with the Ark's boosters. Well, "helped" would be used loosely, as he just stood nearby while the other two worked. Wheeljack had to open up one of the panels at the back of the ship and crawl inside to get to the inner mechanisms. He held a flashlight, looking for the problems presented on a tablet that Ironhide held. Optimus was merely there to make sure the mechanic wouldn't try to tamper with the engines any more than they had to. The ideas he was presented with were, admittedly, good ideas, but he wasn't swayed.

Wheeljack popped out of the ship, oil and grime sticking to his silver armor. He clicked the flashlight off and crawled out.

"The last thing's just a breach in the Ark's Energon distribution system." The mechanic said, "However, it's a big one, so we need to wait for Cliff to come back with the scrap."

As if the aforementioned Autobot heard them, he padded towards the two. He dragged a scrapped-together wagon towards the group, filled with metal scraps of all shapes, colors, and sizes. Cliffjumper walked up the gradual incline to reach them, then grunting and dropping the handle. He wiped his servos together, then rested them on his hips.

"I gotcha scrap, Wheeljack." He said.

"Just in time! Thanks, Cliff!" The mechanic said.

He trotted over to the wagon, picking up the handle and dragging it closer to the ship. Cliffjumper rolled his optics and turned away, waving a servo.

"Just comm me if ya need more!" He called over his shoulder-pad, "I'll be around Praxus with Elita an' Equinox, so I should find some."

"Got it." Ironhide said without looking back at the red bot.

Optimus wanted to ask about Elita, but he refrained from doing so. He knew she was fine, and if she had a message for him, then she'd come back to the cavern to deliver it herself.

Ever since taking back the Matrix of Leadership, they found that Megatron was hunting them down (big surprise there). Every city they went to, even Praxus, there were at least two Decepticons searching every possible hiding spot. Buildings, burrows, scrap piles – you name it. They hadn't gotten to searching the tunnels yet, so that was the Autobot's method of transport. It wouldn't last long, but it worked, for now.

Optimus snapped back to reality when Wheeljack yelled. "Prime! Get over here and pass up some scrap!"

He was saddened to hear the nickname be used on him instead of Zeta Prime. He ignored the feeling. He turned and padded over to the Ark, grabbing a small sheet of scrap along the way. Ironhide gave Wheeljack a boost to get back into the Ark's boosters. He clicked his flashlight on, then looked back at Optimus. The red and blue bot held up the piece of scrap he held, and the mechanic took it. He crawled back into the darkness.

Ironhide and Optimus waited a few minutes until Wheeljack came back.

"Hand me another one!" He yelled.

The red and blue bot picked up another metal sheet. Before he could hand it over, Ironhide stopped him.

"Optimus, wait." He said, "That panel's messed up."

Optimus blinked. He turned the sheet around, and he saw what the weaponsmith was talking about. He was correct. Brownish rust was creeping up from one of the sides, and it appeared that something had taken many bites out of it. He hummed.

"You're right." He said, "Where should we put it?"

"Eh, just toss it to the side." Wheeljack said, "Shouldn't hurt."

Optimus turned to the side and tossed the metal sheet to the side. He turned back to the wagon and pulled out a new sheet. He checked it for any torn bits or rust, then handed it to the mechanic. He nodded as thanks, then disappeared back into the ship. Optimus waited a moment, then looked at Ironhide.