0.3: Camp Lonely Hearts Club (Mini-shot)

Thank you to @kathylo42 for the idea! AKA SerenityByMoonlight 2.0

-------

Ricky: 18

EJ: 18

-------

"Eej?" Ricky asked, knocking on the barn door before opening it. Maddox told him that he was in there. EJ turned away from the door and wiped his face, silently sniffling.

"Bowen, what do you want?"

"I was just wondering how my Sven was after wrapping the show?" Ricky's finger gunned him, ending with snapping his finger and clasping them together when EJ wasn't amused. "Okay fine... Maddox told me-" Ricky said and then was intimidated by EJ's glare, "That you could show me around camp,"

"It's the night two days before the last day of camp... I am pretty sure you know how to get around,"

"That's not what I mean. I was talking about activities," Ricky said, and EJ raised an eyebrow, "You know, like fishing and canoeing,"

"Ricky... you hate nature. You almost fainted when there was a leaf on your shoe," EJ huffed.

"Hey... I thought it was a bug." He muttered. Please, Eej, I want to go fishing," Ricky tried to hold back his disdain, replacing it with puppy dog eyes. "Everyone is with their significant others..., and you wanted someone to fish with you the other day,"

"Why don't you go with Gina?" EJ mumbled, "She is single now. You can snatch her up... not like she will put up much of a fight. She is in love with you."

"EJ..." Ricky stepped in front of him to look him in the eyes. "What are you talking about,"

"Gina and I broke up... you two have been flirting all camp," EJ said, growing more frustrated when Ricky shook his head. "Come on, Dude... can you honestly tell me you don't have feelings for her," he asked, and he scoffed when Ricky shut his mouth. "Unbelievable... you, gina, my dad... you can all"

"EJ, I have a thing for everyone. Gina, Nini... Red, I can't help it. I am just flirty. But I would never break bro code." Ricky said, and EJ looked back at him. He was too angry and sad to realize Ricky just came out to him.

"You stole Nini away from me," EJ said, and Ricky flinched. He was hurt that Nini didn't talk to him today.

"You technically broke it first, and we didn't know each other at the time..." Ricky crossed his arms. "I was trying to be a good friend and check up on you... you looked really sad when you weren't on stage." Ricky mutter and EJ grabs his wrist.

"Look, I'm sorry... I am upset about my father, too," EJ blurted out. Ricky did nothing wrong, so he was being rude.

"It's fine... do you want to talk about it?" He asked, and EJ shook his head. "Take me fishing?"

"We have to get up at 4 AM," he said, and Ricky contained his reaction.

"I will set my alarm."

———-

6:12 AM

Ricky took the boat with the good motor, trying not to laugh at Ricky shell shocked face. They spend the past 2 hours catching crickets for live bait. He glared at the cricket basket like the little insects were serial killers making sure they didn't escape.

"You know... if they get out, then they could bite you, and these are the venomous ones," EJ joked, and Ricky squeaked, afraid.

"Are you joking?" Ricky asked, and EJ smirked. He nervously laughed as EJ dropped shut off the engine.

"God... it's so beautiful out here, don't you think?" EJ asked as he admired the lake as the sun came out.

"Um yeah... it sure looks like we are a long way from the land..." Ricky said, looking at the dock they were at... he didn't like water. He backed away a little when EJ grabbed a pole and reached his hand in the Cricket basket. "So what do we do? Let them out in the water, and the fish will come to us?" Ricky asked. He yelped when he watched EJ stab a hook through the cricket.

"What?" EJ asked. Ricky looked like he had just kicked a puppy. "Live bait, besides you don't like them,"

"That doesn't mean that I watch you impale the poor thing with a hook," After a couple of minutes of Ricky watching EJ casting out and reeling in, EJ tried teaching him to cast properly, but he wasn't letting go of the trigger. "That makes no sense... why isn't it pressing the trigger to cast out the line?"

"I don't know, just do it," EJ said, and Ricky sighed, "Beautiful!" EJ said when Ricky cast the perfect line out, but then he heard a splash. Ricky had lost balance and fell off the side of the boat. Ricky yelped and splashed as EJ laughed, he was trying to grab the side of the boat, but he had to kick his feet to try to surface.

"H-Help! I can't swim!" Ricky whimpered with a mouth full of water. EJ widened his eyes, unaware of that fun fact. The current was sucking him under the boat. EJ grabbed one of his flailing wrists and pulled him up just before his foot would have collided with the propeller. He wrapped his arm around Ricky's chest, pulling him out of the water and helping him stand.

"Okay, It's okay, you're safe..." EJ said when Ricky coughed up water and clung onto him, trembling because he was cold and scared. EJ hushed him and patted him on the back for him to cough up the water in his lungs. "Sit," EJ said, guiding him to the stool, then running back to reach under the driver's seat for some towels. "Take off your shirt. You will dry off quicker," EJ said, thinking Ricky looked so pitiful as he struggled with the suction of trying to peel off his wet shirt.

EJ helped him dry off, then wrapped a towel around his neck to soothe him. "T-thank you..." He said, still scared that he almost drowned.

"Ricky, why didn't you tell me you couldn't swim... why would you come out fishing with me?" EJ asked.

"To cheer you up..." Ricky said, and EJ was silent. Ricky batted his long eyelashes to look beside him. EJ was sitting beside him with an arm wrapped around him. He decided to make his move... he was a little turned on after being saved. "I told you I had feelings for everyone..." Ricky said before kissing EJ. The rich boy was a little startled but kissed back. He smiled into the kiss, trying to warm Ricky up from the cold. He wondered what the summer would have been like if they had kissed sooner.