Chapter 5. Granted

Alas, Kusum couldn't keep the promise she had made to herself! The wet feeling under her back had succeeded in breaking her slumber. Groaning to herself, she sat up on the bed.

With eyes half-closed, she mumbled. "Naveen... Baby... Sorry, I did it again. Naveen? Navee-"

As if lightening struck her, Kusum jolted out of her sleep. She clutched the wet bedsheet tightly and controlled herself from crying. She noticed the vacant spot beside her and slumped her shoulders.

Painstakingly, she got up, removed the bed sheet and threw it in the bucket in the bathroom. In fear of ruining the mattress again, Kusum slowly pushed it down the bed. She cursed as she needed to clean herself again.

She steeled herself and got out of the bathroom after twenty minutes. Pumping air into her lungs, Kusum kept kicking the mattress till it settled under the bed. From the gallery, she picked up the other mattress she had soiled yesterday. Naveen had cleaned it and left it to dry.

'Sorry, Naveen. I made you clean my mess. I am so embarrassed. Why can't my bladder work properly?' Kusum thought.

Somehow, with a lot of efforts, Kusum managed to get the mattress inside the bedroom but she could only drop it on the bed diagonally.

Even such a simple task made her feet feel like having needles stuck inside them. Her breathing was heavy and she sat down to catch her breath.

Half an hour later, she got up and put the bedsheet on the mattress and laid down just like that. But sleeping fairy was nowhere to be seen. Realising that she wouldn't be able to sleep any longer, Kusum got up and went out into the hall room.

At 4:06 a.m. Naveen and his friends were fast asleep at different places. Kusum went to Naveen and touched his cheek lightly.

"Sorry, baby," Kusum said in a low voice.

At a snail's speed, Kusum cleaned up the mess surrounding the men; inbetween her stomach made her legs and back ache, but she continued with the chore she had taken in hand.

Before Naveen or his friends woke up, Kusum was done cleaning and cooking some light breakfast for them. At 7 am, all men woke up. One by one, everyone complained of the hangover and went to freshen up.

As the men were still getting over their last night's drinks' effect, no one noticed that the mess they had made was gone. Kusum treated them to the breakfast and Naveen's friends left soon after. Kusum gave the tiffin to Naveen and went to do the dishes.

Naveen stopped her. "Why are you doing the dishes today?"

"It's not a big deal. I can do it sometimes," Kusum said with a smile.

Naveen looked at her suspiciously. "You cleaned the mess?"

Kusum nodded. "I woke up a bit early, so I cleaned it. Why?"

"Umm.. nothing. I would have done it. You know... I always do it, so..." Naveen said.

"Chill. I can also clean up. Moreover, it is advised to keep yourself active in pregnancy," Kusum lied.

Even though what Kusum said wasn't a complete lie, it was not advisable in her situation. Considering her back pain and sore feet in mind, her doctor had adviced her to get as much rest as possible for the sake of her baby and her own health.

But that advice was causing a rift between her and Naveen. Resting to keep herself safe was proving not so healthy for her husband.

Earlier, Naveen would make Kusum leave the kitchen and scold her for interfering in the house chores, but now, he didn't protest.