24

After class I went outside, I knew Hopper would show up soon, so I quickly pulled out a cigarette and walked further into the parking lot to light a cigarette. I will admit, I started smoking again, which is not good. While I was with Steve, he wouldn't let me smoke, he was so afraid that something like what happened to my father would happen to me. I was standing next to some car and I didn't even realize that it was Steve's car.

"And you started smoking again?" came a voice behind me. I turned around and there was none other than Harrington himself. I smiled.

"It happened." I said and after inhaling the last smoke I threw the cigarette on the ground and crushed it with my foot. I looked at Steve, he was leaning on the roof of his car watching me intently.

"Umm, you know... Maybe you need a ride?" the boy asked modestly. I raised my eyebrows. I glanced at my watch, Hopper should have come to pick me up a long time ago. Probably very busy or forgot as always.

"No, I'll be picked up soon." I said and smiled. Steve really seemed to have changed, he spoke softly, sincerely, I still felt that he blamed himself a lot. "Why don't you take Nancy?"

"We broke up." Usually the guy answered. You could see the surprise on my face. I wanted to smile, but I controlled myself.

"And what is the reason for that?" I asked sarcastically. I couldn't communicate with him like I used to, honestly. I had to tease him.

"It doesn't matter. All that matters is that we both realized we weren't meant for each other." Steve admitted. In fact, he didn't seem sad, maybe even the opposite.

"I hope that bitch apologizes to Jonathan. I really hope we never see Jonathan and Nancy together again." I said mockingly. Steve laughed heartily.

"Of course, she behaved very badly with Jonathan. Just like me... The good news is that I apologized to Jonathan. He wasn't really impressed, but he said he appreciated my apology." Steve said. All the while looking at me. I just nodded my head. It was strange talking to him like this again.

"I'm glad that we won't have to be against each other in the last year." I said and smiled. Steve also smiled back at me.

"King Steve. You must have forgotten my threats? I don't want to see you around Layla anymore." Billy's angry voice came from nearby. He was standing next to his car. I didn't want another rooster slaughter, so this time I went against Billy.

"I'm not your property, Billy. I thought I made that clear to you." I replied angrily. Billy turned his head and glared at me. He gestured to his car, but I just laughed out loud. I turned back to Steve.

"Steve, is your ride offer still valid?" I asked the guy. Steve was confused but slowly nodded his head. I turned to Billy, who looked much more furious. I smiled at the guy and waved him goodbye. Turning on my heel, I walked towards Steve's car and quickly got into it. I won't lie, it hurt to see Billy so hurt, so betrayed. But he deserved it. We drove in silence for a few minutes, but Steve stopped at the school exit and turned to me.

"I didn't even ask. And where to take you?" Steve asked. "At Hopper's. Now I live with him." I said softly. The guy nodded and started driving. I looked through the car mirror and noticed Billy standing by his car smoking, looking directly at Steve's car.

As soon as we pulled into Hopper's yard, I noticed him standing in the yard with a cigarette in his mouth. Hopper didn't look friendly when he saw Steve.

"Steve, thanks for the ride, but I think you need to get out of here now." I quickly said and got out of the car, but Steve got out with me. I turned to him with a frown, but he shrugged.

"I want to talk to you." The boy whispered quietly. I just rolled my eyes and turned to Hopper who was holding the gun pointed straight at Steve.

"Hey, hey hey!" Steve shouted with his hands up. Hopper glared at him. He took the cigarette out of his mouth, threw it away, and stomped it with his foot.

"On the count of three, I don't want to see you here and don't you ever dare touch Layla again." Hopper said angrily. Steve stood frozen, but I took a few steps closer to the man.

"Hopper, it's okay. Don't worry. He took me back because you didn't come. Go inside, I'll be right there." I spoke softly to Jim. I knew he was always overprotective. Hopper spat in displeasure and went back to the trailer.

"He really hates me." Steve said with a laugh. I laughed.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked the guy. He sat on the hood of the car. I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Layla, I really apologize to you from the bottom of my heart. I never thought I would be so cruel. I didn't think I could cause you so much trouble..." said the boy. In fact, I was starting to get annoyed with his behavior.

"Steve, you've already apologized. I forgave you, that's all. Forget it and move on." I tapped Steve on the shoulder. He smiled sadly and stood up from the hood.

"Thank you, Layla." Steve said walking towards the car door. I just smiled and waved him goodbye. All I could think about was Billy. His expression when I got into Steve's car that moment. Too bad Billy doesn't understand that my heart belongs only to him... Even after everything he's put me through, I'm still completely his...