2

JIMIN POV

"Is there a problem, Mr Jeon?"

I admit it was probably wrong of me to eavesdrop on Jungkook's phone call but he had seemed so agitated when I stepped out into the corridor that I wanted to make sure he was okay.

I hadn't been able to hear too much of what the person on the other end of the line had said but I heard enough to get a pretty good idea of what was going on.

Jeon Jungkook was in the support branch of the marketing department.

I'll admit that I had been keeping an eye on him for awhile.

I found him to be young and inexperienced but eager to learn.

He excelled in his position, completed his work in a timely manner and was well liked by his colleagues.

All good marks of an excellent employee.

Taking phone calls in the middle of a meeting was another story.

I understood emergencies, which was probably why his cell phone had been going off so much during the meeting.

If someone had been trying to urgently get a hold of him, it would also explain why they called the office directly when they couldn't reach him.

Still, it wasn't a good practice.

"No, sir."

Jungkook's cheeks were flushed when he replied and I noticed that his eyes didn't raise any farther than my chest, as if he couldn't bring himself to look me in the face.

"Just a small family problem."

"Do you need to be excused?"

"No, sir."

"If you need some time..."

"No sir, I'm good to go."

Even as I accepted Jungkook's words, I wondered if they were true.

While his cheeks were flushed, the rest of his face was pretty pale.

I had heard a woman yelling at him on the phone.

Having heard a few of the things Jungkook said, I knew he had been speaking to his mother.

I couldn't help wondering what the heated conversation had been about.

"Better get back to the
meeting then."

I grabbed the door and held it open for him and then followed him into the conference room.

I walked to the end of the table and sat down, immediately pulling out my cell phone to send my assistant a text.

"Do a background check on Jeon Jungkook and his family, especially his sister and parents."

"Basic facts or deep dive?" Ari typed back.

"Deep dive."

My assistant Lee Ari was former CIA. She had connections in places I could only dream about.

A basic background check would get me the information just about anyone could find about anyone else.

A deep dive would get me everything else.

"I should have something for
you in twenty-four hours."

I smiled with satisfaction as I set my phone down on the table and looked toward the front of the room where the marketing director was giving his presentation.

I couldn't get out of this meeting no matter how much I wished I could, It was all part and parcel of being the CEO of my business.

But there were times when I could just send someone else.