Chapter 37 - A brand new wizard

This is it. Draco and I are at St Mungo's, he's finally getting free of his slithery body. Waiting inside a corridor for the healers to get ready, sitting on a bench, I hold Malfoy into my hands. Our moods couldn't be more different. He's thrilled, coiling himself around my fingers, excited at the thought of being turned into a wizard again, whereas I am gloomy.

"I couldn't imagine I would say this in my life, but I'm looking forward to go to class again!"

"Hm."

"I'll be able to enjoy the sun again. Or the rain. Or whatever weather!"

"Hm, sure."

He makes circles around my hands and wrists, like a scaly, moving handcuff.

"To tell the truth, I am not a very big fan of Hogsmeade. But I will go for sure a dozen times the upcoming weeks... just because I can!"

"Hm."

He stops and glares at me.

"Potter, are you even listening to me?" he complains. "I'm talking to you."

"You're gonna be free, you're so happy, you will go singing in the rain... bla-bla-bla..."

He squints.

"Are you seriously pouting?" he wonders in bewilderment.

"I'm not pouting" I protest.

"Aren't you happy?" he asks. "You can finally get rid of me! You were reluctant to have me around, when I got turned into a snake. And now... now you look grumpy. I don't understand. I thought you'd be on cloud nine..."

"I'm not grumpy!"

"What is your problem then?"

He stares at me, genuinely concerned. I sigh.

"I wonder... what will happen once you will get rid of me? I mean... we got a little bit closer... when we started living together..." (His tail waves, he keeps staring at me.) "Now, since you will become a human again, I guess you will go back to the Slytherin dormitory."

"And?"

His tongue flickers with nervosity; I breathe in deeply.

"And... I'm just worried, I guess... about our relation... about what it will become."

Looking at him, I can't help but feel anxious. He keeps staring at me, thinking intently.

"Potter... To tell the truth, I mulled this over and-"

"Mr Potter? We are ready, you can come."

I jump and turn towards the healer who just arrived –and that I didn't hear coming, obviously.

"What is it?" I stutter, taken aback.

Judging by the look on his face, I spoke in Parseltongue again. I clear my throat.

"Yes?" I say.

"You can come in the room, everything's ready for Mr Malfoy."

"We have to go" Draco sighs.

Biting my tongue, I try not to look too frustrated. I really want to continue this conversation, but he has been waiting for this moment for months. It's not the right time to be selfish and insist. I get up.

"Okay... Let's go then."

The healer leads us into a room that has been cleared from all furniture except for a bed in the centre of the place. Three other wizards are there, each of them holding their wand and a paper.