XI

𝐗𝐈
𝐩𝐨𝐯.: 𝐲/𝐧

You shield Mairin as the strike rains down on your head. You ready yourself for pain, however are surprised when none comes. The sound of metal breaking is deafening. For a moment, you think your vest has opened.

Then you see the small parts of the broken blade scattered all around you. A small piece hits your face, leaving a little cut to draw blood.

You look back up, seeing the man stagger back in surprise, staring at the handle left in his palm. Then, he continues his assault with whatever is left of the broken sword now. You call out enraged before jumping up on him.

This is... not how you imagined things would go this evening. Then again, when you had been forced to wear this suit last minute, you knew it couldn't be a good one either.

Fights are usually fun. Given both attacker and defender stand on the same ground. But when there is a crying girl shaking and cowering behind you, it turns sour.

Given she's the Kings only daughter, of course she is an accordingly great target. It didn't take long for the first man to try and slice her up. Not when you're here to prevent it, however. You don't want to imagine what could've happened if you weren't here, such as the King had originally requested before being talked out of it by the prince himself.

Talking of prince, you had lost track of him ever since the chaos begun. People started screaming when the windows shattered and you grabbed ahold of Mairin, pulling her against you protectively. You had no chance to come to the prince's aid, as deep as the desire ran.

Much more than protecting him, you knew he would want you to protect his little sister. So you did exactly that.

That these men had iron and titanium swords was indeed a little unfair. You can't just grab their blades mid air like you did with their wooden relatives in training. You had to dodge, then try punching them down. And still, despite not fearing death, this situation was making you start to feel... desperate.

As you're tackled to the ground, Mairin's screams in the background, you felt it even more so. Before you have a chance to fight back though, the woman is thrown off of you. Grey eyes meet yours and you can't explain the wave of relief that floods your chest.

"Augustine," you breathe.

He doesn't answer, simply stares down at you. Then, with quick hands, he fishes something from out of his pocket. You stand up, watching him draw a key. It looks old and rusty. Years of decay gnaw at it.

You know what it's for immediately. How can you not? Not when this thing has been mockingly held infront of your face so many times. Not when this thing is the ticket to freedom you have been denied for so long.

Despite the war raging inside this room, the screams of terror and fury echoing through the air, you feel your senses dullen until all that's left is this forsaken key and it's holder.

The prince speaks.

Still, all you perceive is the motion he makes.

The lock on your backside clicks as the key is pushed inside. It's turned around and suddenly, your chest can expand all at once without disruption. Sir Leon, still caught up with fighting back the attackers, looks over in great terror.

The prince doesn't hesitate to run over to Mairin,— grabbing and carrying her away with fast strides. You hear his footsteps leave.

First, you perceive the light tug of cloth on your shoulders. Then, a slow drag. You feel heaviness leave your back as the vest falls to the ground with a loud thump. You almost stumble, moved by its movement and weight.