Chapter 2. Grace and Tara

A week later.

After arriving home from one of the worst catering jobs I have ever experienced, I throw the van in park and look at the house. Memories come flooding back. Memories of Prince and the kids filling the goldfish pond, and us sitting out here on the black bench with gold trim looking up at the night stars in the sky. One of the best memories is when Dalton was found, and we brought him out here with Bianca and had a family picnic. 

"So many wonderful memories out here, and one horrible memory in that damn elevator," I whisper.

"It wasn't long after that, we met when I catered Prince's wake," she says behind me.

"Tara, I am so happy you got back home early," I wrap my arms around her.

"How are you, Grace?" 

"I'm here, and I'm able to get myself out of bed. Let's go in the house. The kids are at Jerome's, so we have the house to ourselves," I say pushing the door open and making our way towards the kitchen. 

"How are the nightmares, Grace? I got all of your texts about them," she says as I grab the coffee from the glass jar and proceed to fill the filter with it.

"Well, I am convinced if I cut my arm or any part of my body, nothing but coffee will be flowing from my veins."

"Grace, you know that isn't healthy."

"I know, Tara, but as soon as I close my eyes the first vision, I see is Prince lying on the elevator floor, then I see him being held hostage in this huge room.

"You know, Grace, while I was away these two months, I did some research."

"Okay, research on what?" 

"On how the mind works," she says causing a confused look from me.

"What, Tara?"

"Grace, just hear me out, okay?"

"Okay, Tara," I reply as I scoot myself into the booth against the wall.

"We both know how much you and Prince love each other. And notice how I'm say love and not loved?"

"And you're right, Tara. Saying loved would mean in the past, my love for Prince will never be a thing of the past."

"And I don't believe Prince's love for you will ever die. It's obvious you and Prince share a rare unbreakable and undying love for each other, Grace."

"I agree, but I don't understand where you're going with this, Tara."

"You need to read this book, Grace," she places it on the table.

"How to tap into your psychic self. Tara, have you lost your mind? I'm not a psychic."

"Grace, the love you have for Prince and the love he has for you connects you for life. The strength of your love for each other truly is unbreakable. Not only have you told me when you close your eyes you can see Prince, but you go into detail with his surroundings, what he's wearing. After his death, or his so-called death you told me you could see him still wearing his wedding ring." 

"Well, yeah, he was buried wearing his wedding ring, Tara."

"Don't you find it a little crazy those involved with preparing him for his burial didn't want you to have an open casket, Grace?" 

"No, not really. We didn't want the kids to see their father in a coffin, Tara. They both were so young at the time."

"Okay, I get that, but what I don't get, Grace, they discouraged you, Prince's wife, from seeing him.

"They told me he was swollen, and I wouldn't want that imaged of him seared in my memory," I say forcing myself to my feet and begin to pace back and forth. 

"Listen to your gut instinct and pay attention to those images you have of your husband, Grace. Your heart and soul have been trying to tell you, you have been lied to, and Prince is still connected to you. A bond like that is unbreakable. Read this book," she insists as she makes her way to the pot of coffee.

"Jerome thinks I've lost touch with reality, Tara."

"I don't think that's how he sees you, Grace. I think a part of him is just too afraid to let himself believe his best friend could possibly still be alive.

"I can feel it in my heart and soul, Tara. I always knew if Prince went before me, I would be able to feel soul leave, I never did. And I know how crazy insane I sound, but I don't care. My husband is still alive, I can feel it. I can feel him."

"Well then, we need to get to work on you and me finding your husband, Grace."

"You don't think I'm losing my mind, Tara?"

"Hell, no I don't think you're losing your mind, Grace. You have been saying for the past ten years you don't believe Prince is dead and I believe you have been right all along. You told me not long ago when you and the kids were at the cemetery Dalton saw some strange lady just standing there staring at all of you?" 

"Yeah, Tara. I never saw her, but Dalton insists there was a lady there."

"I think we should start with the strange invisible creepy cemetery lady. Why would she be there near Prince's grave staring at all of you?" 

"I have no idea, Tara."

"Hmm, could it be she wants to make sure you still believe Prince is still in an empty grave?" 

"That would be a good reason to be lurking at someone's grave. Maybe if I can tap further into my love for Prince, that will help lead us to him?"

"I have no doubt, Grace, you have it inside of you to help lead us to Prince. Trust in yourself, trust in your love for each other. It will guide you to him."

"I will. Nothing is going to stop me from bringing my husband home, Tara."

"Okay. You know, Grace, I'm thinking we need a plan." 

"What do you have in mind, Tara?" 

"Oh, you know me, Grace. I love a plan that people won't see coming." 

"And I have known you long enough now to know I am completely on board with your devious plan. " 

"With both our brilliant minds at work Grace, that will be their downfall. That and the strength of your love for your husband. Whoever is involved, we will make them regret it."

"You're damn right we will, Tara." 

The following week*

As I open my eyes from a deep sleep, I can still see her and hear her soft voice. As my eyes adjust to the darkening room with barely the light from the moon shining through, I see a small, framed silhouette coming towards me.

"Grace, is that you?"