Prologue

I wasn't always a killer.

I used to live in an entirely different world until life threw me a curve ball. It pulled me into a role I had no business being in, but was damn fucking good at.

An assassin.

A murder.

A contract killer.

Whatever you wanted to call me it didn't matter. It all meant the same thing. I was being paid to end someone's life. And I didn't come cheap either. My services were in the ballpark figure of close to eighty thousand per target.

My preference for the kills was making them look like an accident. It was something I perfected that the coroner would always rule as such, without foul play.

But there were times when the targets were fitting of something more brutal, something so wicked and disturbing that it made me question my own sanity. The investigators were so sickened by the crimes that they couldn't sleep. It was rare though. And on those rare occasions I would take my time with the victim, savoring the moment because deep down I knew what I was doing was the right thing.

Yes, that's what I said. The right thing. Ridding the world of evil, one asshole at a time, and the world was full of them. Hidden in plain sight, until I dragged them into my own darkness.

Now I know you're wondering how I got into something like this, but the better question I can't answer right now is why. Why my life turned upside down that I had no choice but to be hauled into the life of a killer.

But that's not to say I didn't have a heart. On the contrary. It was there, drumming away in my chest, making me feel all sorts of emotions, reminding me that I was in fact still human after all.

And even though I could easily take another's life, I had no desire to take my own. I enjoyed what I did, perhaps a little more than I should have. But honestly, I wished that I didn't have to do it at all. I wished that my life was simpler and more meaning was brought into it.

I could never find love, not again, not after everything that happened before when it all turned to shit. Perhaps someone would look at me from the outside and realize that what I was doing was indispensable, noble in fact, even though I knew a lot of it was wrong too.

I grew up being taught right from wrong but I guess sometime over the years the lines blurred, until one day they disappeared completely.

If someone asked me what I would change in my past, I could tell them the exact moment my life crumbled beneath me, changing my trajectory into one I never expected.

But as it turns out, I couldn't change the past no matter how hard I tried. So, instead, I focused on what I could do to regain the power I had lost and everything that died along with it.