Chapter 1

I had always loved libraries. The peacefulness of the space, the dusty pages of books, and the scent they would always bring. Intoxicating, familiar and safe.

Ever since I was a kid, I would always find myself in the local library with my head in a book trying to soak in as much knowledge as I could. The words would take me on an adventure, one I didn't want to stray from. I realized then what I wanted for my future. A dream, that if I truly worked hard enough, then I knew it was possible for me to turn into a reality. And so I did.

I became a writer.

My main job was writing for one of the local magazines, a blog about my experiences with dating, relationships and work. I'd do ad hoc jobs here and there for some news printing services as well. There were a few in L.A. that had sought after my work and both had paid me well enough. Any spare time I had, I volunteered at the local hospital, reading to the sick kids in the children's ward.

I was twenty-five and living the life I'd always dreamed about. I was one of the lucky ones and it was something I never wanted to take for granted. I adored living in L.A. I was blessed to find a property with direct access to the beach. It was pretty run down when I first purchased it, which is probably why it was so damn cheap. All it needed were some new floorboards, an updated kitchen and bathroom along with a fresh coat of paint. With the money I had saved up from work and of course with my parents' help, I was able to turn it into my own solace. A home just for me.

It was late Friday afternoon. I'd taken the day off to do a few things. Got my hair done, splurged on a nice massage that went for a selfish hour and a half, and as always, I found myself at the library re-reading one of my favorite novels.

I glanced up momentarily to take in my surroundings and caught sight of someone unexpected. A man staring directly at me. The stranger had magnificent blue's piercing into mine and he wouldn't avert his gaze. His short beard did nothing to hide the smile that curved on his lips and God damn what a smile it was. The book that was opened in his hands was one I had read many times before. Good taste, sir. Except right then his eyes weren't on the pages spread out in front of him. They were focused on me.

Blood rushed to my cheeks at his intense fixed-look. The only thing I could do was drift my attention away from him since he refused to.

No matter how damn hot this man was, I had a boyfriend. Jordan and I had only been together for a few months but we were good friends before that. I'd met him while we were working at the same bakery I was employed at when I was twenty-two. Something I took up part time to get extra cash.

After a while, and out of curiosity, my eyes flicked up again towards him and holy hell he was still looking at me. The man widened his smile before his teeth lightly grazed over that thick bottom lip. I'm pretty sure it could have been the start of a porno if he kept looking at me that way. He was older than me, though I just wasn't sure by how much.

As soon as the alarm rang out on my phone, I snapped out of my shameless gaze. Not wanting to disturb the other people in the library, I quickly silenced the noise and collected my things before bolting out, not once looking back at the stranger.

No, sir. Not today.

I had dinner plans with Jordan and I wanted to have a quick shower to wash off the residue oil that I could still feel on me from my massage.

After a quick ride back home, I dumped my keys and bag on the kitchen island, soon able to hear screaming sounds from the second floor.

What the fuck?

I lived alone.

Grabbing a knife from the stand, I carefully walked up the stairs, my ears pricking up to the now clear sound of cries that were once muffled. As I got closer, the screams became louder and I could tell they were coming from my bedroom.