- After -

.
Ponyboy Curtis

Everything was different. But it wasn't. Johnny and Dallas were still here, but never the same. After everything that happened, a sort of tension was always in the air. I don't think anyone in the gang ever realized how close you could get to losing someone. Johnny was able to get the charges off of him, and despite what the doctors predicted, he was able to walk on crutches. He's learning to get off of them, I'm so proud of him truly. takes a lot to get back on your feet after what happened and what was and even still is happening to the kid. Dallas is even more paranoid about Johnny than Darry was or is about me. I guess Johnny was the only one out of all of us to keep him going. 

I sit at my desk finishing up on some homework when I hear the door slam shut, that's either two-bit or steve. A minute or two later as I finished the last question, I hear a quieter sound of a closing door, that's gotta be johnny. I decide to go out to the living room and see what everyone was doing, whos dating who, who broke up with who, who did what and what did who, etc. as I go out, I see two-bit, steve, and soda all just creating a ruckus. If Darry was home he would've been yelling at them to shut the hell up. I sit by johnny on the couch, hoping to not get in the middle of whatever the other guys were doing.

"Hey, there johnnycake!" I say to him

"Hey Pone.." He says in a sullen tone. He only ever talked that way when something really bad, and I mean really bad was troubling him.

"you alright johnny? you seem off..?"

"im fine po- well I guess I just don't really wanna talk about it right now"

"wanna go to the lot or something?" I knew Darry wouldn't like me going out without his permission, but johnny seemed like he really needed to talk, so I just didn't care what he would think. after all, he ain't home.

"Sure let's go"

we head out and make our way to the lot. I feel like I can see visible weights on Johnny's shoulders. I start thinking about other things, we reach that familiar old abandoned seat.

"so johnnycake, what's wrong? are you alright? what do you want to tell me"

"It's just- things have been disappearing from my house a lot. just my parents' things. I have this bad feeling that they are both slowly leaving each other, which we both already know, but leaving me behind. Hell, I know id be happier off without them, but it still stings so damn bad pone." He finishes with a whimper-like sound.

I didn't say anything at first, and just wrapped my arm around his shoulder as if to say, you're gonna be alright. I did end up saying that actually. With us, we didn't need to say much, we just knew what we would say.

"You wanna stay at my house tonight or for a few days? you know we don't mind"

"Are you sure pone?"

"of course, you're my best friend! i can't let you be abandoned from your own home,"

that word. best friend. Sure it was true he was. but for the last few weeks or months, I have yet to keep count, it felt like a sting in my stomach when I said it. Why was this phrase hurting me so bad? It's what we are.

Not wanting to upset Darry, we decided to head back to my place. Johnny seemed to have his old sense of himself back, I was glad to see that. We got up the steps and into my house and as we shut the door darry was on his feet.

"Ponyboy! Where the hell did you go!? Soda was freaking out, he didn't know where you or johnny went!"

I knew I should've told someone, but Johnny just seemed so  desperate to get out, it barely crosses my mind.

"Darry I'm sorry Johnny and me just needed to go on a walk after all the ruckus being made from the hooligans on the couch," I say as I point to the, well hooligans on the couch, soda, steve, and two.

I could tell darry was holding back from yelling at me, I knew he was trying to get better about that after the talk we had with soda that one night after we were sure johnny was gonna be gone.

"Its just- i-" Darry let out a sigh

"just leave a note or let someone know pony. that's all I ask" he says as he makes his way into the kitchen to prepare dinner. I walk over to him slowly.

"Dar? it's fine if johnny stays for a night or maybe a few days? he's been having it tough at home, tougher than the rest. Please darry? I'm sorry about today its ju-"

he cuts me off, "pony you know you don't have to ask that question, of course, he can."

Smiling in response, I walk back to johnny to let him know he was gonna be stuck here for all eternity. He just laughed in response. I love his laugh, so quiet yet so full of-- whatever I'm rambling again. I take him back to my room to make him settle in. Whenever johnny sleeps over, soda always goes to sleep on the couch, he's told me he doesn't like johnny being all alone I guess.

"you already know where everything is, I think you've been here a few times,'' I say as we walk in.

he laughs again, "well I'm not sure I might need a tour if I'm being honest, I'm lost!" he jokes.

as we sit on the bed I feel my stomach twist but in the best way. It's that feeling again. I wish it would go away yet always find myself wanting more of it. I hate how my body works. As I get thinking, once again, Darry calls us into the kitchen for dinner. nothing much happens and after, and me and johnny sit on the couch while Darry begins to finish washing the dishes. Soda decided to go hang out with steve randomly, but I don't mind. We turn on the television, seems the only thing playing is gone with the wind, but as I turn around, Johnny is out cold. I turn off the television and go sit by johnny.

and of course, that feeling back.

word count: 1085

A/N Hey loves! apologies for the long chapter, I kept thinking of stuff to put and couldn't stop. Hope the other chapters aren't like this. aha. This is my first ever published story, so sorry if it's bad or anything let me know what to change, add, etc! Stay Gold <3

P.S

I'll prob add a character page once im farther in, im honestly just winging it :0

New Chapter Coming soon!!!