Chapter 11: Dearest Friend

Aemond,

I am sorry it has taken so long for me to write to you. So much has happened since I watched you fly from Driftmark on Vhagar.

Oh, what a sight that was! I had not been able to appreciate her fully in the moonlight. From where I watched in the tower – the very one you flew from – I could truly grasp her massive size and see her scales gleaming. Truly, the gods must have a sense of humor, giving you the bronze dragon and me the black.

Emrys was distressed when you all left without us. I could hear him wailing for Dreamfyre from my rooms. But I cannot blame him; I felt very much the same. I miss you – all of you – very much.

We did not linger for long at Driftmark after Ser Laenor's funeral. It was not as grand an affair as Laena's. I had the sense that Corlys and Rhaenys were eager for us to leave – I do not think they like either Rhaenyra or my father very well. I cannot blame them. Neither has said a word to me since we arrived on Dragonstone five days ago. I suppose it is the best outcome I could hope for, for I know Daemon to be capable of much worse.

Have you heard that Daemon and Rhaenyra were married? It happened only two days ago. I was not in attendance at the ceremony. I almost wish I was, as it was done in the Valyrian tradition. It would have been fascinating to see in reality what I have only read about and imagined for so long. But I could not have stood to be around my father for so long – to witness him in a moment of joy. I would have been sick, I think.

I have been settled in rooms in the opposite wing from the rest of them. For this, I am grateful, for it means I do not have to see my sisters, or Jace and Luke (who are now my brothers, I suppose), more often than is necessary. While I am allowed to break my fast and take my luncheon in my own rooms, I am still required to attend dinner with the family.

The first few meals, Jace and Baela tried mocking me. Baela talked about how she wished for the cuts on my face to scar so that I would never forget what happened that night. Jace tried to goad me by heaping praise on his brother for what he did to you. Though I wished to shove the entire table down their throats, I pretended not to hear them. Like Aegon, they lost interest once they realized they would get no reaction from their victim.

So now I simply sit in silence and eat my food – which on this barren island consists mainly of fish, which you know I hate. As soon as the meal is done, I retreat back to my rooms. Though it is lonely without Brynna and the rest of my companions from King's Landing and Runestone, it is better than facing Daemon and the rest. I never thought I would, but I find myself praying for my father to continue ignoring me.

But oh! I am selfish. I have not asked anything of you. How was the ride on Vhagar? Have you ridden her since? Surely she cannot fit in the Dragonpit, so where does she lie?

And most importantly, how is your wound? Are you reading this letter yourself, or is Orwyle reading it for you? If he is, let him know how much I appreciate him, and that I hope he is treating you gently.

Please write back to me soon. I have not yet been brave enough to try and find the library here, so I am near to going mad with boredom.

Arianwyn

Sent to the Red Keep from Dragonstone on the 19th day in the third month of the year, 131 years after Aegon's Conquest.

Arianwyn,

I am immeasurably glad to hear you are unharmed. My mother, Helaena, and I were so worried what Daemon would do once you were in his grasp. We will continue to pray that you remain safe and well.

Do not apologize for not writing – my happiness should be the least of your concerns while you are living among enemies. My mother has written to your cousin, Ser Gerold, and Lady Arryn, your Godsmother. Our hope is that they will come to the capital to petition the King for your return, and that they will be able to succeed where we could not.