Chapter 1

Today was supposed to be simple. Shuri would train with the Dora Milaje in the early hours of the morning. Becoming the black panther meant she had to train harder than when she would spar with you. Back when T'Challa held the mantle. You being one of the best spies in Wakanda meant you could put up a good fight. Then she would spend time with you working in the lab. You had some designs for some new weapons to show her. You were proud of them. So she was excited to see what you came up with. This was the last thing on her mind. Namor was the last thing on her mind.

"How dangerous are these threats?" Shuri asked as the council gathered in the throne room.

"Reports are telling us that Namor has resurfaced. With clear intentions of destroying Wakanda." Okoye said with her hands behind her back. Scared? No. Worried? Of course but she couldn't let the council know that.

"Namor? I thought there was a truce with Talokan?" Ayo questioned and Shuri began zoning out. Namor was still set on attacking Wakanda? After everything he's already done. Yes, Shuri demanded a truce but in the end, he killed her mother. Something she could not forgive. When will it end? Shuri refused to let someone else she cares about fall due to his actions.

"Princess." A voice tore her from her trance and she looked up to see all eyes on her.

"I'll go to the checkpoint with Okoye and Ayo. If he's planning something, I must stop him before any attacks happen. Even if that means killing him this time. We leave in an hour." The black panther sneered as she stood from the throne both her mother and brother once sat. The room remained silent as she walked out with a heavy heart. Everyone knew where she was headed. To inform her dearest of this mission. A mission she may or may not return from. Namor couldn't attack again. Hasn't Wakanda mourned enough? Buried enough. Lost in her thoughts she entered the lab, her eyes finding your form almost immediately as you talked to other scientists. A small smile appeared on her lips as you waved your hand over the floating screen.

"Good evening, Princess." You perked up upon hearing Grio announce her presence and you went up to hug her. You may be a trained spy but she's the only one to make you smile brighter than you have before. She hugged you back and you pulled back before your smile fell. Her eyes held sadness and you caressed her cheek.

"What bothers you my love?" You asked with concern laced in your voice and she kissed your palm.

"Everyone out! Now!" She demanded and all the other scientists scattered out of the lab. You looked up at her with confusion evident on your features as you sat down the clipboard in your hands.

"Why did you send them off? What's going on?" You were worried now as she took a deep breath. Whatever she was about to tell you, isn't easy for her to say.

"We've gotten reports that Namor is planning to launch another attack. Your body went still as you held the gasp that threatened to leave you.

"And who said that? Where did you hear that from?" You questioned and she held your arms.

"One of Talokan's people came to the river border last night. Told us to be ready. He wants to finish what he started." She told you and you had to hold back tears. You knew she was about to go out there. You wouldn't be surprised if she was still hell bent on killing him. After what he did to her mother.

"Are you-" you couldn't finish your sentence as she slowly nodded and a small whimper finally cracked. "Why? Why now? He has a family now, what could his reasoning be behind this attack?"

"I don't know. That's what I'm going to find out."

"You can't go out there. If any of this is true, he could very well be trying to separate you from the palace." You started to panic and she grabbed your hands.

"I have to sthandwa. I might be able to talk some sense into him. If he is planning an attack I need to know when and why." She pulled you closer by your waist, hoping to calm you down.

"No. No! What if it's a trap set for you?" You argued and she sighed. She knew you would not agree so easily. "If he does want to attack, taking you out first is a battle strategy. He almost took you from me once. I cannot bear that pain again."

"I'll return to you Y/N." She held your face and you shook your head. You closed your eyes as she rested her forehead against your own. "I promise you."

"If you die on me, I'll resurrect you and kill you myself." You stated and she couldn't help the smile on her lips. No matter how serious you were. You almost never had to use your abilities. You gave up training them after you failed to bring the queen back. Her lips found yours in a passionate kiss as if to seal the promise. Your fingers dug in her hair and her hold on your waist tightened. The kiss held much more than a promise. It meant, come back to me. I love you. Be careful. Everything you couldn't say without the dam breaking.

You didn't even hear Okoye enter the lab until she cleared her throat. "M'Baku and the Jabari tribe have been notified. It's time to go princess." The two of you parted and you bit your lips as you hugged her one more time.

"Please-"

"I know my love. I promised, didn't I? Keep the lab from falling into chaos until I get back." She asked before backing away from you. The two of you didn't release the hold on the other's hand until she had gotten further away. You felt empty when her hand slipped from yours but you held up. No more tears. She was gonna come back. You had to be strong. She was the black panther. Everything will be just fine. You still followed behind her as the two went to the elevator.

"I'm gonna see you off." You told her and she nudged you with her shoulder. You looked over at her trying your best to keep the tears in your eyes. She rested her forehead on yours and you sighed as you leaned into her. The doors opened and the wind from the royal jet had your curls blowing in the wind.

The aircraft had been prepared and you walked out with Shuri. Intertwining your hand with hers as you neared the landing dock. She squeezed your hand in reassurance which you greatly appreciated. On the outside you may have it all together. But you were torn apart on the inside. You can't lose her. Not now. She's to become your wife in a couple of months. And you hers. When the time came she turned to you before kissing your lips one more time. It was quicker than the one you shared in the lab but held all the same passion. You watched as she walked into the jet with Okoye and Ayo not far behind. Aneka walked up to you before putting a comforting arm around you. Just like you, her love was going on what could be a suicide mission. You leaned into her embrace as you watched the jet disappear into the clouds.