Chapter 8

Unedited :3

Streamfeather shifted her paws, suddenly uncomfortable. "What do you mean?" She asked, tightly. Dawnpaw sat down. "I - I know, and we've never heard about him, or anything. What was Hailclaw's story? Who was my father?" She said, her voice almost pleading.

Streamfeather sighed. "Your brother?" She asked, resigned. Dawnpaw blinked. Stormpaw. She'd forgotten about him. He was just as much kin to Hailclaw as she was. He deserved to know. She felt conflicted, thinking fast. "Fine. After the Gathering, we will all talk. But Streamfeather?" She said, calmer than she'd been before talking. Her mother flicked, her tail, signaling Dawnpaw to go on. "Tell us the entire truth." Dawnpaw said, conviction strong in her voice. She didn't wait to see her mother's reaction, instead ducking under the twigs and walking towards Froststar. She hadn't talked to Froststar much, but he had been her mother's father, her kin. Besides, the somewhat grizzled tom had a reassuring presence about him. She greeted the elder with a respectful nod, picking a small trout out of the fresh-kill pile, and sitting near Froststar. He finished the morsel he was chewing on before speaking.

"Do you need something? Most apprentices do, when they come up to me." His tone was amusedly cynical. Dawnpaw smiled. "Not necessarily. I was only wondering what happened with the meeting you'd been planning to have with the ThunderClan leader?" Froststar smiled grimly. "It's been postponed, until after the Gathering tonight. We shall go tomorrow, at sun-high." Dawnpaw nodded. "When will you announce who's going to the Gath-"

She was interrupted by two drenched figures dashing into camp, yelping and making sour faces. Stonewhisker slowly entered camp after them,calmer but also worried. "Sorry Dawnpaw, this is urgent. Would you mind helping Tigerpaw?" She nodded getting up and heading towards the two soaked apprentices. Moonpaw and Tigerpaw. Dawnpaw pointed her ears towards the medicine cat den, and the two frazzled apprentices followed.

Oneeye was busy with sorting, looking up, her one good eye blinking in surprise. "Reedpaw, to get some moss, we obviously need it. Hm. Is everything alright?" She asked. Dawnpaw looked at Moonpaw and Tigerpaw as well. Tigerpaw looked terrified, and was staring determinedly at his paws. Moonpaw was looking at Oneeye. "The Currents. We went to check on the border with ShadowClan there, and the water had risen a lot. It was salty and strange, and it pulled worse than the Currents usually do." She explained. Dawnpaw furrowed her brow. Why were they near the water? The border was on the high portion of moorland that crossed onto RiverClan territory. Oneeye nodded, unconvinced but not pushing it. Reedpaw came back, moss in her mouth. "Go ahead. Use these to dry off. Go to the apprentice den, you're clogging up all the fresh air!" She said exasperatedly, practically shoving them out. Dawnpaw grabbed some of the moss, following Moonpaw and Tigerpaw back towards the apprentice den. Icepaw was there, her expression amused and knowing. Dawnpaw wondered what it was that Icepaw knew. Tigerpaw shot his sister a look, before settling into his nest, ignoring the moss he'd brought with him. Moonpaw looked troubled by this, but said nothing. Dawnpaw looked at her closest friend awkwardly. It'd been at least three moons since they'd stopped talking, and Dawnpaw had barely questioned it, figuring that Moonpaw just didn't have time for her anymore and wanted to hang out with Icepaw and Tigerpaw, the older apprentices. She'd been wrong.

Dawnpaw took a moment, before nudging some more moss over to Moonpaw. The other she cat looked over at her, surprised but grateful. "Thanks." She said. Dawnpaw nodded, before sitting by her. "Hey listen, I think we should talk. Properly." Moonpaw looked up, confused but curious. "What do you mean?" Dawnpaw stared at her paws. "It was so stupid. Look, I'm sorry, about putting the training I had ahead of such an important day for you. It was wrong, and I should be realized sooner." Moonpaw smiled, stifling a laugh. Dawnpaw looked up. "Why are you laughing? This isn't funny." Moonpaw stifled another laugh, before speaking. "You're right. It's just...what took you so long to realize that, mousebrain? Besides, I don't hold a grudge against you. I just wished you'd hurry up and apologize!" Dawnpaw looked stunned. "Oh."