Chapter 1: Suicide Night

The nostalgic aroma of freshly made popcorn, roasted peanuts, and cotton candy clung to the air as the bright lights from the Ferris wheel blinked against the inky night sky, enticing the crowd to take a ride

“Tickets! Bracelets! Get them half off! Tonight only!” The words blasted through the megaphone of the carnival worker wearing a tattered green jacket as he sat inside a wooden ticket booth. A badge hanging around his neck identified him as Arlo.

Below him, a rusted tin sign propped itself against the booth.

Carnie Days -- Suicide Night

“What’s suicide night?” a woman who could’ve been a young Meg Ryan asked the carnival worker.

Arlo leaned forward with a leer, showing off a set of crooked teeth. He took in her short skirt and low cut top. “You’ve never heard of suicide night, darlin’?”

Her boyfriend, dressed in an orange jumpsuit, placed a possessive hand around her waist. “Liz, don’t you know you shouldn’t talk to strangers?”

She elbowed him in his side. “He works here, Jason.”

Arlo smacked his lips and chuckled. “No need to get jealous, boy. I was just asking the sexy officer here a question. No harm in that, is there?”

He was referring to her Halloween costume. Liz bit back a smile before answering, “No, it’s not something I’ll pull out my plastic cuffs for.”

Arlo grinned. “Maybe I wouldn’t mind you bringing out the cuffs, darlin’.”

“Liz,” Jason said her name as a warning.

“We’ve never been to Carnie Days,” Liz admitted, ignoring her boyfriend.

Arlo winked at her. “You ever play Russian roulette, beautiful?”

“Watch it,” Jason threatened, stepping forward.

Arlo smirked. “Just complimentin’ your girl here. No need to get offended.” He turned back to Liz. “I’ll ask again. You ever play Russian roulette?”

She shook her head.

“Consider tonight a game of roulette. Each ride you take could be your last.”

Jason made a scoffing noise.

“We test the rides the day before we officially open. Tickets and bracelets are half off tonight. Anyone who wants a cheap thrill can ride the rollercoaster, but there’s no guarantee it’s safe. That goes for all the rides. You choose to ride, you waive all liability of any injuries or death. That’s Suicide night, baby.”