Cole

I know too damn well I'm a hypocrite.

All the big talks about not wanting a soulmate... the moment I found out I've got one, what did I do? I broke every fucking rule in my book, in the League's book, just to get her out. Out of this mess.

So when Liam showed up at my door instead of asking me to pick him up at a more reclusive location, the wind got out of me pretty fast after the first shout. I've made mistakes, too.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I snapped at him as I dragged him inside, making sure no one noticed him before shutting the door. "Why didn't you call me when you got here?"

"I... I don't have money to place a call." He muttered.

I let an irritated breath out through my nose. He looks like shit, but hey, he's breathing, so that's something. I know I look way too clean cut, way too prissy in contrast, but that's what the job calls for.

"You've seen better days." After a good look at him head to toe, I couldn't help but smirk. Finally, he's back here, in my vicinity, where I could get a hold of him if I ever need to know if he's safe. "Even for you, this is a bit excessive..." I picked up his left hand with two fingers like it was a dead mouse, and got a good look at his arm, scored like a Christmas Ham. Damn, the kid had it rough.

"What are you doing in Philly?" He said instead, retracting his hand pointedly.

"You really want to know?" I replied. It's not a secret how much he despise the League, so I don't see a point of him getting to know what I did here.

"I'd probably know eventually, wouldn't I?" He retorted.

Then that begs the question... "You know what this means, right? You know where we're going?" I asked, because this time, if he wants out, it's not going to be as simple as me turning a blind eye.

"Look, if I could just find Mom and Harry..." He started, and that, more than answered my question. He is not ready.

If he's not, I'm gonna have to make him.

"No," I snapped, stopping his words. "We don't have that kind of time. My assignment here is done. I'm being extracted at midnight, which is in less than four hours, and if you think I'd let you out running into the wild and being hauled into a camp again, you'd have another thought coming."

For a while, he didn't say anything, only looking at me, like he was trying to stare his frustration into me.

"All right." Finally, he sighed. "Whatever you say."

Of course he wouldn't want to go back. But where else can I keep him? Mom and Harry are nowhere to be found, despite their place being the optimal choice. Plus, I've already sent the girl that literally has my life in her hand back into the League, what does he have to complain if he's going to the same place?

But I can't keep beating his head over this and hope that one day it get through his skull. "Look, I know the last time you came with me, it didn't end so well, but things are turning around." So I said, eventually, hoping that this would at least get him to be a bit more cooperative. "I promise, just stick it out a few months."

"How do you know?" He asked.

"I just do. Trust me." I returned, then gave him a tight smile, "Tell you what, I'll go get us some dinner, and you clearly need a shower." I took off the stupid glasses that was part of my cover, grabbed the keys, then, decided to lighten the mood a little, "Do not, drown in the bathtub."

"Yeah, yeah." He returned a grunt.

Before I could open the door, though, he stopped me. "Cole," he called.