Two

If you had asked Diluc this morning how he thought his outing would end, he would not have guessed sitting eye to eye with the Cat's Tail bartender while Jean had been sent to be his over glorified babysitter.

Barbara had been with her when she had found him in order to tend to his wounds, so no doubt Kaeya had gone straight to the acting grandmaster and her sister, but her questions upon arrival had indicated that Kaeya hadn't told her what Diluc had been doing.

Barbara had stayed long enough to get Diluc back on his feet before returning to her duties at the church, but Jean had insisted on making sure he made it home safely.

So here he sat, Jean to his left and Diona on the opposite side of the dining table. Adelinde had offered him a rushed explanation of what had happened to the head of Springvale's hunters as he stumbled through the door before stopping to question his torn and bloody clothes.

"We've plenty of space," he says, rather than answering her prying questions while Jean is still present, "she can stay as long as she needs to."

Diona turns her head away with a huff when he speaks, eyes closed and arms crossed, occasionally taking a peek at his dishevelled form. "I don't need help, especially from you." She turns back, but only to address Adelinde. "When can I go home?"

Adelinde's eyes widen. She's clearly not prepared to handle both situations put in front of her. "I've had no word from Margaret," she says softly, "but Master Diluc said you could stay here." She attempts a warm smile.

Diluc pushed himself up from his seat, groaning with the effort it takes. Whatever Barbara had done was already beginning to wear off. "Let the girl do what she wants," he says, waving a dismissive hand. "Jean, you can go."

"But your injuries-"

Diluc cuts her off. "I'll be fine," he says. "Adelinde's here to keep an eye on me. She can send for you if I die." He'd intended for the comment to be a joke, but Jean only looks horrified.

Adelinde gives him a scathing look, but seems to take his side, knowing he can't disclose the full story with a party he didn't want to know present. "I'll send for your sister if he worsens," she promises, "but I need to discuss the young lady's situation with the Master." She places her hands on Diona's shoulders.

Jean looks hesitant, but sighs. "I understand." She gives each of them one last look, a small smile in Diona's direction, then she takes her leave.

As soon as she's out of sight, Diluc falls back into the chair, hand on his aching side. "Like I said, she's free to stay, but I'm not going to force her to be here against her will."

"Master Diluc," Adelinde scolds. "She's a child. She can't possibly be left to take care of herself."

"I can look after myself," Diona insists. "And I have a home. Back in Springvale. I want my own bed. I want my daddy."

Diluc freezes. He could imagine how she was feeling. He'd been there only four years ago. It was the same kind of grief that he'd insisted he deal with alone. A grief that, when left to fester and grow like an untreated wound, began to twist itself into anger that could never be quelled and a series of self destructive habits that make you hate yourself no less.

What does he have now? A business he doesn't want and a family that won't even look his way.

Diluc leans forward, mostly to use the table to keep himself upright, and winces. "It would probably be best if you didn't isolate yourself during this time," He eventually says and he meets Diona's eye. She doesn't look away this time. "Please don't think of my presence here as the reason you can't stay. You won't be seeing very much of me."