001 ASHES

18 + // TRIGGER WARNINGS
- The following chapter is not suitable
for those under 18. Graphic gun violence,
gore, murder, and disturbing imagery ahead.
- In addition, some elements in this chapter
are based on true events. May those who
lost their lives rest in peace.

╔══•●•══╗
ASHES
╚══•●•══╝

╔══•●•══╗ASHES╚══•●•══╝

Across the sea of atheists to the sacred mountains of Buddhism, no matter the denomination, the story of Christ is known. The resurrection after the crucifixion and the symbolism of self-sacrifice rings in the ears of all who listen, whether they believe it true or not.

The story of resurrection is not only portrayed in the Bible but also ancient mythology. The great Phoenix can rise, resurrect from its ashes, and emerge stronger, smarter, and evermore powerful. The story of the Phoenix is a story of hope; even when life goes dark, and all appears lost, it is nonetheless possible to rise above.

This was the story Ingrid Thatcher told her children when the lights blew out and sinister darkness engulfed them.

The year was 1974.

📍Amityville, New York
November 1974

The Thatchers were an average family. Marshall was a successful attorney in Manhattan; Ingrid, with a Ph.D. in psychology from Dartmouth, had just opened her counseling practice. Their children, nine-year-old Ginny, seven-year-old Mellie, and three-year-old Benjamin, were delighted in their new home.

Living on the sound was every child's dream. The Thatcher family dog, a black lab named Stella, loved to run in the yard and catch sticks thrown off the dock. Stella often ran into the neighbor's yard, which was the catalyst of a blossoming friendship between the Thatcher family and their next-door neighbors. Little did they know this blissful existence would soon crumble by the touch of darkness...

Thunder echoed in the night as icy wind gusts rang through the trees, creating a menacing howl. Stella barked incessantly, alerting the world of the terror inside the home next door.

The eldest son walked through the halls of his family home, the voices taunting him relentlessly. He stole his father's rifle and tip-toed into his parent's room. As they lay face down in their bed, he shot them point blank in the head. He proceeded to his brothers' room, delivering the same horrific fate. His sisters were executed last.

This tragedy struck like a lightning bolt; the quaint town of Amityville was forever stained by evil. Speculation circled in the atmosphere. Was he insane? Was he just a cold-blooded killer? Were the voices authentic? Did something else make him do this?