Chapter Fifteen: Sleepless Night

Kumiko's account of the arrival of the black ships and the events which had occurred afterward left an impression in Ichiro's mind that lingered well past bedtime.

His discomfort only grew as he lay still in the darkness, both arms clasped across his chest in the hope it would calm him. However, this effort proved for naught, and eventually, he had to break the silence with a question.

"So, if I heard you correctly earlier, this land of America lies ten thousand miles away across the ocean?"

"Yes, but it's kilometers," Kumiko replied, stirring beside him. "Not miles."

The sinking feeling returned to Ichiro's stomach. "I see. What a strange way to measure distance..."

"I know. Now, could you be quiet? I have another early morning tomorrow."

"Sorry," Ichiro whispered before clenching his mouth shut and resigning himself to a night of worry and restlessness. He hoped that Kumiko's job was important enough to warrant such dedication because it seemed like she was beginning to neglect his need to understand the world around him.

Although he could ask Futoshi to enlighten him in the morning, he knew it wouldn't be the same, especially when he didn't trust the old man entirely. He wanted Kumiko to be around the next time he discovered something new and decided that he would try to hold things off until she was available.

That reminds me, you still haven't told me the rest of my alias. What am I the prince of?

******

A shrill ringing awoke Ichiro almost as soon as he finally fell asleep. He opened his eyes with a gasp, finding the noise hellish beyond compare and wanting nothing more than for it to cease immediately.

To his relief, Kumiko was quick to roll over and remedy the situation, thus restoring peace to their bedroom. Ichiro closed his eyes with a smile, intent on allowing himself more rest before a hand on his shoulder told him it was not to be.

"You need to get up, too," Kumiko said in a low voice. "Futoshi is waiting, and I want to go over a couple of things with you."

"Is that so?" Ichiro rolled over and straightened his sore arms. "Have you thought of another name for me yet?"

"I was about to bring that up, but I'll tell you now. I went over spiritual words in my head last night and narrowed it down to just two."

"Is that so? What are they?"

"Prince Specter or Prince Aura. Let me know which you prefer."

Ichiro found this a difficult choice when he wasn't familiar with the latter word and its meaning. He blinked.

"Do you want me to decide right now?"

"No, you can spend as long as you want thinking about it. I won't rush you."

Ichiro smiled at her in gratitude. "Thank you. Is there anything else you want to tell me?"

Kumiko slipped out of bed, allowing him more room to place his arms. "Yes. I'll have something to show you when I come home from work. And I promise it will be just as impressive as a fridge."

Ichiro wondered if she had peered into his mind while they were asleep. The coincidence seemed far too timely, and he feared for a moment that Kumiko would also learn of his less virtuous thoughts.

"That sounds wonderful," he replied, tossing the bed covers aside and immediately shivering from the decrease in temperature. "What gave you that idea?"

"Nothing. I just want us to have some bonding time tonight."

"I suppose that makes sense." Ichiro scanned the dim room. "Any idea what I should wear?"

"Just make do with what you wore yesterday. I haven't had the time to buy more clothes." Kumiko murmured as she approached her wardrobe and retrieved the ensemble she had worn the previous day.

"Oh. When will you have time?"

"Hopefully, this weekend. I'm sorry that I can't be here for you more often."

The gravity of those words left Ichiro feeling disheartened again, but he nodded regardless. "I understand. Earning money is important."

"Then I'm glad we're on the same page." Kumiko turned to face him with a smile while fastening her skirt. "But, if it's any consolation, you'll be busy with work too."

"I certainly hope so. My life would be aimless otherwise..."

"Same here," Kumiko remarked, slipping on a dark blue coat. "Absorbing myself in work allowed me to stay sane until now."

Ichiro realized that she had misinterpreted his statement, though he knew that trying to explain himself would only result in an additional burden for her to shoulder. Therefore, he numbly put the matter to rest and resigned himself to the prospect that they would spend only one or two waking hours together each day.