28

Arcueid sat in an expensive hotel meditating on the covers of the bed plush bed. And if her meditation looked like her taking a nap, well there was nobody around to judge. Arcueid had first started meditating when she heard that it was something that martial artists do. So she had gone about it and it had only taken a few minutes before she got bored and wandered off to ask Sumire about it. Sumire had clarified that meditation and its practices were a vital part of some martial arts but boxing wasn't one of them.

Arcueid had been about to give up before Sumire sat her down and explained to her that meditation also taught self-control, reduced stress and did other good things for the body and brain. While she wasn't so concerned with the body aspect of it, apart from when she got stabbed on her lines of death she was never in less than perfect health, she was really intrigued when Sumire stated that meditation can reduce the physiological need for blood.
She had never been as scared in her life when she had come out of her blood induced madness that day several years ago to the bleeding body of Shirou in her arms. Since that day she had rationed her strength carefully measuring it out and being absolutely sure not to draw too much power. Even after Shirou had gifted her one of his custom made mystic codes meant to supress bloodlust she still had taken to meditation like a women possessed.
Slowly opening her eyes she raised herself out of bed with all the ease and self-assuredness of an apex predator. She stretched her hands up into the air while taking one last deep breath and then slowly exhaled her hands falling to her side. Striding over her baggage she picked up and unrolled it. Normally she was pretty useless at magecraft. The only person she could maybe best would be Nine and she was pretty sure that he might just let her win to assuage her feelings.
This didn't come from a lack of power however or even a lack of knowledge. Despite her naivety she was not an idiot, she knew enough about magecraft just by osmosis that she could easily debate with some of the most experienced magi on the planet, (if the stuck up assholes ever hosted a debate on magecraft in the first place.) The problem came about due to her own connection with nature. Strictly speaking she had no magic circuits, but her Od was far more powerful than almost any other being in the world. Control was her constant problem.
This ritual however she was assured by Shirou required no control at all. She was free to use as much Od as she wanted to start it. Unwrapping the mat she laid it on the ground as she didn't want to get any blood on the floor. Taking out a piece of parchment she laid it by the side of the mat. Inspecting the image that was traced on the parchment she sliced open her wrist using her fingernail and using the dripping blood she carefully copied the circle down onto the mat using that blood.
Stepping beside the circle she placed her left foot on the line and opened up a short booklet that possessed the title, "So you want to summon a servant," by Shirou Inke. In the book it contained the basics such as summoning circle, catalysts and command seals. Then it further went to explain various modifications that Shirou conjectured would work. Then it segued into various topics such as the role of a grail, the difference between heroic and divine spirits and the throne of heroes. Arcueid had briefly read through it all but in the end decided to summon the servant vanilla. By doing it this way then she would get the best compatibility between her and her servant which is something she desired.
Shirou, she knew, went even further on the road of safety by not only using no catalyst but modifying the ritual in such a way that he could drain the prana from his summoned servant in an instant. Arcueid actually acknowledged his wisdom because when it came to this as his servant was tricky and could be quite cruel sometimes, and seemed inordinately interested in seducing Shirou. On the other hand she had a good taste in movies and the both of them spent the last two nights watching romance movies while she gave Arcueid advice on the act of lovemaking, she couldn't believe she had been doing it wrong for years. Yeah she may be a slight problem for Shirou but she was developing into a great friend.
Arcueid shook her head. While she got along well with her new Romcom buddy she had to move out of the house to avoid cross catalyst contamination that Shirou theorized could take place if too many powerful creatures are in close enough contact to the summoning ritual. That was why she found herself in this hotel preparing to summon her servant instead of in the "Sumirou" ritual room in Shirou's house.
Arcueid started reading out the chant that would summon her servant adding no special modifications to her speech. The result was rather underwhelming as she felt a brief amount of prana leave her body before a flash of light and her servant appeared in front of her.
She blinked in shock as the person who stood in front of her. Far from being a warrior of legend this person appeared to be wearing modern clothing. He wore a blue shirt covered by a black overcoat. His black hair trailed down to his shoulders and he had bandages covering her face. He pulled down some of the bandages revealing a shockingly bright blue eye before it was gone covered by the bandages again. For some reason Arcueid had the persistent feeling that she had met him before.
"Hello Arcueid," he said his mellow voice containing the slightest hint of teasing. "I didn't expect to see you here. What desire could you have that would make you participate in the grail war for?"
"Have we met," Arcueid said deliberately trying to dredge up information.
The man with his eyes covered still smiling pulled out a knife from out of his pocket the blade flicking open as he drew it. "Does this jog your memory," he said still smiling.
"Shiki," Arcueid said remembering, as phantom pains flared up all over her body at the sight of the only weapon to ever harm her. "You're became a hero."
"Well more of an urban legend," the now revealed Shiki Tohno said. "But you wouldn't know that would you?" he sighed. "You're not my Arcueid." For a moment he looked almost heartbreakingly sad before the look faded. "Come on I can tell its dark outside you can tell me about it while we patrol."
And at that he turned around and left the room leaving a confused but interested Arcueid following him.
xxx
"So I died, killed by my own sister," Shiki said as he and Arcueid patrolled the streets of Fuyuki. "And then she was killed by your boyfriend Shirou."
Shiki raised his hand to his chin deep in thought. "Tell me," he said. "Does this Shirou have a sword fetish? Is drawn to wars? Constantly tries to save people?"
"I don't think he likes swords, he mostly uses water magecraft. He may be drawn to wars," Arcueid said tilting her head in thought. "I mostly think he's drawn to troublesome situations. He sometimes saves people but I don't think he goes out of his way to do so."
"Yeah, so he's not the one I know, that's good," Shiki said. "I don't think I could deal with that prick turning up right now."
"So how did you become a hero Shiki," Arcueid asked curiously.
"Well I was friends with your counterpart," Shiki said nostalgically, "and we went on all kinds of adventures. I killed a few Dead Apostle Ancestors and a few corrupt and evil humans. Eventually after enough people died by my knife the title I was using of DEATH became engraved into the human consciousness and I ascended to the throne. Or at least that's how the book says it works," Shiki admitted gesturing to the booklet that Arcueid used to summon now held in his hands.
"So what class are you," Arcueid asked.
"Assassin of course," Shiki replied candidly. "You don't have to refer to me as such. The Shiki Tohno that became a hero never existed in this world and it won't give away either my powers or my identity."
They walked in silence for a while. "How are you feeling," Arcueid said her voice slightly lower. "Doesn't it hurt seeing a world where you died so soon or where your sister died?"
Shiki sighed and put his hands in his pockets, "I will admit it's not the most comfortable experience. But ever since the day I was first killed by my brother; I resolved to live life enjoying every moment. While I never wanted to die, I'm happy that even in this world that I managed to live for eight years after that incident." He smiled at Arcueid. "Beside my version of Akiha was having twins at the time of my death," he said smiling. "Anyway this is your world, your story. Just use me to facilitate whichever wish you have."
"Well said," a voice came from the darkness and a black-haired child appeared in front of both of them fading in from the darkness. He was dressed in a white knee high robe and black pants and shoes. "It is nice to see somebody with such a positive outlook on life."
"Merem Solomon," said Arcueid and Shiki together. Briefly glancing at each other Shiki indicated that Arcueid could ask first. "What are you doing here Merem?" she said with a note of accusation in her voice. "Are you participating in the holy grail war?"
Merem let out a slight scowl which just made him look even more childish. "No," he said. "Unfortunately I haven't been chosen by the grail. Actually I'm administrating it. Would you believe that the priest in the church came down with a sudden heart curse?"
At seeing the pairs' dubious looks Merem attempted to defend himself. "No I'm actually being serious. I opened up his heart and cursed black liquid poured out."
"Merem Solomon," said Arcueid looking quite baffled. "Did you just admit to killing a priest?"
"Hahaha," Merem laughed nervously as shuffled a bit. "He was really asking for it and besides he was actually really quite evil."
"Right," Arcueid said dubiously. "And for what reason did you come all the way out here and kill this 'evil' priest," she continued layering her voice with an inflection that stated that she was considering avenging poor father Kotomine right then and there.
"I'm sorry Princess," Merem Solomon said; bowing to the True Ancestors surprise. "Unfortunately this event is too important for me to miss, even at your instruction."
"This is more than just a normal grail war isn't it," Shiki suddenly spoke up; his bandaged eyes meeting Merem's exactly. "Whatever is going on here is something that you wouldn't get a chance to see it again. Whatever it is must be important for you to oppose Arcueid."
Merem raised his head and regarded Shiki, "You appear to know of me but I have never seen you before. Even if we've never personally met if we existed in the same time period I would have heard of you." Suddenly Merem Solomon smiled, "Tell me how the future is. Do they have flying cars yet," he said excitedly.
Shiki almost flinched at Merem's accurate observation but regained control over himself and only stared the Ancestor down.
"Fine," said Merem pouting after a moment. "Princess it is not about what I'm trying to see but what I'm trying to not see completed."
His childish look disappeared to be replaced by a look of urgency, "Bring your allies to the church tomorrow night if you want the full story. Now you should leave. Even with all your power Princess the streets are not safe to walk alone."
"She's not alone," Shiki said stepping forward. "Don't worry Merem we'll meet you tomorrow in the church."
At this Merem smiled, "I'm glad to hear that," he said and promptly turned around and left turning into a side street and disappearing from their view.
"I am still the last remaining True Ancestor you know Shiki," Arcueid said huffily. "Unless the White Beast of Gaia or Type-Mercury arrives I find it very unlikely there will be anything I cannot truly handle. "
"What about a student with a knife," Shiki retorted.
Arcueid opened her mouth to retort and then closed it. "Nope," she said emphatically. "I don't win these so I'm not going to fight. We should head to Shirou's house; while we're technically enemies while this whole Grail War is going on I'm pretty sure he won't care."
"Really," Shiki said. "He's not going to fight you over his wish."
"No," Arcueid said. "He is facing Gilgamesh during this war. That's taking almost all of his attention right now. He also confessed that if he won he would probably just take the grail and turn it into one of his mystic codes."
Shiki whistled, "Gilgamesh, the servant I presume. That's not going to be an easy fight. I don't think I could win that one. Better that he fight him than me."
The two of them walked in silence until they eventually arrived at Shirou's house. Arcueid walked to the side of the gate and tapped a few specific stones, runes briefly appearing and disappearing as she tapped them.
"It's only because you're an unidentified quantity," she stated to Shiki's silent question. "I don't have to do it because I'm registered in the boundary field."
They both stepped forward and into the house and an oppressive feeling descended on both of them. Prana containing curses and spells that would kill any human went on hair trigger and runes on the floor started glowing.
"Oh," said Arcueid. "The war bounded field is up. Shirou it's me Arcueid." The feeling didn't disappear and instead seemed to heighten. "Okay, you want proof." Arcueid went into thought for a moment. "At every hotel that you frequent overseas you always sign with the name Kishcur Zelretch Schweirnog. The few times that I went with you, you asked me to sign as Altrouge Brunestud."
The oppressive feeling faded, the runes disappeared and the house fell silent. The front door swung open revealing Shirou who casually walked out into the front yard. "That's because it's funny," Shirou said. "It also helped me once to discover out a magus in the vicinity."
He turned towards Arcueid's companion, "Hello Shiki," he said. "You're looking quite well."
"How did you know that was Shiki," Arcueid said grumpily. "I didn't know until he showed me that knife."
"He's wearing modern clothing, bandages that serve to protect himself from the backlash of powerful mystical eyes, when he pulled down the bandages in response to my security system I noticed they were bright blue and he would have a connection to you; and you just confirmed it now, thank you Arcueid," Shirou finished.
The man in question stepped forward pulling down his bandages and eyed Shirou. "You're not like the Shirou I knew," he said after only a moment. "Your lines also hang looser upon your body."
"Oh what does that mean," Shirou asked intrigued.
"I don't know," Shiki replied back calmly. "I haven't seen something like that before."
"Shirou," Arcueid interrupted. "We meet Merem on the way here."
"Wasn't he the DAA No.20," Shirou said pulling out a booklet and flipping through to a random page. "Yes, he was with the church. Is he their representative?"
"Yes," he is Arcueid said and relayed the story of poor father Kotomine.
"Man," Shirou said. "Gil will be crushed, he always liked that guy. Maybe after this is done we'll hold a funeral for him."
"Merem wanted to speak to us about this war," Arcueid said. "He said that we should meet him at the church tomorrow night."
"I have to meet Rin tomorrow night," Shirou replied. "You can go and maybe take Satsuki with you." His expression grew darker. "I have a feeling I already know what this is about."
"Care to enlighten us ignorant newcomers," Shiki piped up from his position beside Arcueid.
"Not yet," Shirou replied. "At this point in time it's only a hunch. My advice is to play on the defensive and try to defuse fights for the moment. Arcueid have you felt the leylines recently."
"They feel incredibly low Shirou," Arcueid said frowning. "Is this usual?"
"No," Shirou replied gazing at the moon. "Nothing about this situation is usual in the slightest."
Author Note: I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot of flak for the selection of servant. Please keep this review section a meme-free zone. Seriously. Please. For the record I love reviews and anonymous ones are no exception but anonymous reviews that just trash my story is the literary equivalent of throwing shit on my wall at night. If you feel so strongly either sign in and comment or PM me so I can defend myself and explain my point of view. Thank you.
YuukiAsuna-Chan Sorry no Illya pairing. Not that I dislike the character but she serves more as a MacGuffin then a MC in this fic. In addition I am of the firm belief that the alteration of origin and element would fall under soul and third magic. While he could probably change his concept from being human to something else he wouldn't recognize himself and would subconsciously change back.
As for your question about the movies I don't understand the question.
Fathira I have a multitude of ideas about what stories to do next. It is very easy to think up ideas but quite a bit harder to put those ideas into practice. My Rosario No Vampire fic I think has some real potential so I will likely do that one next. Although I'm thinking about doing a chapter next time I write a particularity big cliffhanger.