Tears and Comfort

I'm sitting on the couch in my small apartment. I'm reading a book with music playing softly in the background.

I'm really tired from studying all night. College isn't as fun as people say it is. I thought I would finally be happy but it's the same as high school. I don't feel safe anywhere.

I have one friend that I made at the beginning of the year. I like her. A lot. Her name is Maya. I can't talk to her about everything yet but she's the only person that makes me feel safe. She's about 3 inches taller than me.

She's so beautiful but everyone avoids her because she looks a little different. She has a disorder. I forgot what it's called, but her heart is on the opposite side and her eyes are a little lopsided. I have no idea how nobody sees how beautiful she is. It's like all they see is her eyes. Her eyes are fucking beautiful people are just assholes. The kids in class tend to pick on her even though we're all adults. Even though I'm small, everyone is scared of me. Most people don't make the mistake of saying shit to her when i'm around.

It's 10:30. After I finish this chapter I tell myself I'll go to bed. Just as I shut my book I hear a knock on the door. I get up to answer hoping it isn't some creep. As soon as I open the door I realize it's the complete opposite of a creep. It's Maya. She's just standing there. Her eyes are wet. I know she's about to cry. She's not looking at me. She's staring at the floor.

"Hey Maya come in, it's okay." I say softly trying to comfort her

I'm really bad at handling people when they're upset. I'm bad at handling people in general, because of this I'm internally panicking.

What if I say the wrong thing?

I take a step back and open the door a little more making room for her to walk in. when she doesn't move I can tell something is REALLY wrong.

I gently grab her left wrist. I never touch her right wrist. She cuts herself a lot so I avoid touching the one she cuts. I love that she's left handed even though that somehow piles onto the bullying.

I pull her into my apartment and close the door softly. As soon as it clicks shut it's like all Maya's self control goes out the window. She throws herself into my arms and starts crying. At first it's so quiet I barely notice but it soon becomes loud sobs.

I slowly start walking her to my room because I know she likes it there. She says it feels like home.

It takes us about five minutes to reach my room even though it's right down the hall. She's still sobbing just as much as she was when I started walking. I gently sit down on the bed giving my back more support as I hold her. I scoot back farther onto the bed and pull her with me. I gently gently gently lay down. I still have my arms around her and she willingly lays down with me. I roll over onto my side and pull her closer.

I have no idea what happened but I've decided to worry about that after she's done sobbing. Something tells me she's been holding this in for a long time.

I gently hum her favorite song and I occasionally kiss the top of her head. She's so cute even when she's like this I can't help it. After a good 45 minutes the sound of her sobbing finally gets quieter. After she's completely done crying she doesn't move. After another 15 minutes I can tell she fell asleep. I sigh and close my eyes, deciding it's best if I sleep too.