CH 36 || The Feeling Of Spurnness

Aditi

******

"buona giornata." The last staff member said before she left the florist shop. She along with the other staff members were going on a vacation and I was called so that they could hand me over the keys.

[buona giornata -> Have a good day]

"Anche tu." I had learned a bit of Italian. I had to, otherwise living in Rome could have turned onerous for me. Thanks to the one who was teaching me for months. The only person I knew who was proficient in the language. Still, I wasn't very adept.

[anche tu -> You too]

I was arranging stuff before I could leave when I heard the chime bell hung at the entrance. It signified someone had entered the shop.

"We are closed," I replied, still busy with my work.

"For me too?" The familiar voice had me stop at my place. I turned around smiling at the woman who wasn't any stranger. I walked to her and hugged her.

"quando sei tornato?" She had gone to meet her son in London. I didn't presume I would see her that soon.

[quando sei tornato? -> When did you return?]

"La notte scorsa."

[La notte scorsa -> Last night]

"You are closing already?" She queried as it wasn't even seven which was the ideal time for our shop to close.

"Yeah, the staff is going for a trip." She sat on the couch and gestured to me to sit with her.

"How is everything?" She asked.

"Good." I poured one cup of hot cappuccino for her from the coffee machine and then took a seat beside her. I knew she would resume the convo we left off because of Aahir's unforeseen appearance the last time.

It was about Aahir's mom, Emily. She was the only one Emily had confided in tough times, the one who had securely kept the proof of Vishal's crime before Kevin went to her to collect the same, Laura.

Whilst Laura took sips I was filling in with what happened the day after she left. She couldn't believe it. Keeping the cup on the center table she held my hands and said, "I am so happy for you. I am sure Emily would have celebrated it. But why didn't you tell me?"

I went speechless. Though she understood what would have happened, "It's fine. I know Aahir. But I am glad that it happened." She was earnestly exuberant and that made me jubilant.

"You won't ask about how I got that recording?" She mentioned the recording of Vishal Kohli's crime. For me, he used to be a father figure but when Vidyut told me every bit of the truth before hurting me I was staggered and started hating him.

Every cell in my system resented that man.

The last time when Laura and I were conversing at Laura's house, Aahir gave an unanticipated visit so we dropped our conversation. Even though he wouldn't mind telling me, I didn't want him to tell me. I didn't intend for him to suffer more.

"Emily and Aruna had studied together in college. When Aruna was getting engaged she called Emily too and that's where she met Vishal. He got infatuated with her and tried approaching her till the time she was there but Emily didn't want anything from him."

"She wasn't interested?" Laura shook her head. She picked up the coffee mug, took a few sips before she answered me.

"Emily was staying in a hotel. The day before she was to leave the hotel premises Vishal went to meet her. He confessed to her about his feelings but Emily rejected him again. He couldn't take it well and you know what happened next." It was the same hotel Vidyut had kept me captive. It belonged to Kohli's. The past rehashed in front of me and I fisted my hand, not in anger but pain. I could feel what pain she must have gone through because I was no different.