Rainbow Baby

Kai's POV

I frantically wipe away tears as I reach the door leading to Ash's music room.

I try to wrap my brain around what just happened as I knock on the door and wait for an answer.

I pace impatiently, then the door finally opens and I walk in.

"Hey beautiful." He's facing away from me, but I can hear him smiling.

"Hey." I say softly, almost inaudible.

He turns around and rushes over to me when he sees that I've been crying.

"Kali? What's wrong?" He pulls me to his chest and holds me tight.

I sniffle and the tears begin to flow again.

"What is it love? Did something happen?"

"Yeah."

"What?"

I laugh a little and pull away. He looks at me with a mixture of confusion and worry.

"Ash, it's a miracle. I'm pregnant."

"What?"

"I'm pregnant!"

"But the doctor said that it probably wasn't possible after your miscarriage."

"I guess the doctor was wrong."

He takes my hands in his. "Please tell me you're joking."

"I wish I was."

"You really are pregnant?"

"Isn't that what I just said?"

He responds by cupping my face in his hands and kissing me roughly.

"Ash!" I squeal.

He laughs and softens the kiss till it's almost a featherlight touch.

"Are you happy?" I murmur against his mouth eventually.

"I think I'm the happiest man alive thanks to you. But god, Kaliah, I almost lost you last year when you miscarried. What if—"

"There's a chance something could happen, and Ash, if something does happen to me, I need you and Genny and Ian and move on. There are plenty of other women out there."

"Kai, you're the only woman I want in my life."

"I want you to move on if something happens to me!"

"Goddammit Kaliah, listen to me!"

I take a step back. Ashton rarely yelled around me. Let alone at me.

He gathers me into his arms once more. "I love you and only you. I'm not going to let anything bad happen."

"Ash," I whisper. "Promise me. If something does happen to me, move on. Please."

He inhales strongly. "Okay, I promise. But that doesn't mean that I like it."

"And you say I'm stubborn."

"That's because you are, darling."

I bury my face in his chest and I feel my hair move as he sighs and rests his chin on top of my head. A peaceful silence envelopes the room for a while.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you." Ashton breaks the silence.

"It's okay. I backed you into a corner. I'm sorry about that."

He kisses my forehead in response and a peaceful silence takes over once more.

Eventually, it's my turn to break the silence. "Hey, y'know what they call babies conceived after a miscarriage?"

"What do they call them, my love?"

"Rainbow children." I look up at him and smile.

"Our little rainbow child." Ash leans down and kisses my stomach then stands up straight. "Our little miracle."

"Ashy Bear?"

"Yes dearest?"

I giggle and he smiles, dimples gracing his cheeks.

"I love you."

"I love you too."