005,

—— MRS

—— MRS. JONES ♥︎ ☕️
╰┈➤ ❝ [a story by 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐆𝐀𝐋𝐒] ❞
005, "there's somethin' real
special here. anyone can see it."

𑁍——— MY MOM WAS PRESSED FOR GRANDKIDS. Mind you, she had me at a relatively early age herself. Since I was now pushing 30, in her book, my eggs were now prehistorically old and needed to be fertilized immediately.

The timing couldn't have been more fortuitous when She's a Bad Mama Jama, the ringtone I created just for her, shrieked and sounded on my phone. As I finished setting my soft makeup for the day, I sprayed setting spray onto my brush one last time. I eventually got my phone in front of my mirror and picked up her FaceTime call after a little bit of fumbling. I had brown smudges on the side of my phone case from my concealer-smeared hands, but it would have to be taken care of later.

"Hey, mama!" I greeted her enthusiastically, watching as her connection gradually cleared up and I saw the older, but still fine-as-wine, version of me staring back at me from my phone.

"Donnie, my love. How are you?" Her eminent voice began speaking before she noticed the extra time and effort I had put in today and gasped forcefully. "Where are you headed? You look absolutely gorgeous! Mhm, what I be tellin' folks? Just like your mama."

I laughed aloud at her silly antics, playfully tossing my head from side to side. "Girl, I'm just headed out. Nothing serious."

Truth be told, Austin ended up derailing the entirety of my day's agenda. In the early hours of the morning, he called to see if I fancied brunch, and I told him I was free. I've noticed that Austin isn't much of a texter, and that's something I hadn't really picked up on until recently. Simply to hear my voice, he would call my phone.

He was leaving for a business trip that would take him away from home for the next few days as he scouted out potential new Gustuso locations in higher density areas. The last thing he did before leaving was to make sure that he had seen me. It was a warm hearted gesture, I couldn't deny that. Also, who the hell would I be to refuse a free meal?

"Oh, well, make sure to tell Dahlia I said hi! I miss my daughter-in-love so much! It's been too long. How's she doing?" I side-eyed my mother as she gushed about Dahlia because of how vehemently she expressed her opinions. I mean damn, I was literally her daughter.

"She's doing just fine, ma. But, I'm not headed out with her." I replied while observing the change in my mother's countenance from adoration to skepticism. "She has a real busy schedule down at the salon today. I might see her later, see if she can squeeze me in for an appointment."