8: Miracle On Ornament Street

The Maddens probably aren't the people you want throwing a Christmas party, but so far, it's gone off without a hitch

The Maddens probably aren't the people you want throwing a Christmas party, but so far, it's gone off without a hitch. While there aren't that many people at their house, they do have a sizeable Christmas tree sitting in their living room, decorated somewhat darkly. I'm situated near the tree, so I'm able to gaze at the ornaments without being bothered. Hartley is somewhere in the house with Amy. I hear their voices from the other side of the house, but I don't want to join them. 

Taking a swig of the red-colored punch, I eye the people milling about the living room. Many of the people who came to the Maddens Christmas party were the people in our neighborhood and some classmates of ours. Colby is the center of attention as he tells funny stories and jokes around with people. Vic is also hiding near me, looking out of place in the midst of superhero-loving people. Eva is probably with Hartley and Amy, while Grandma is with her boyfriend. They're somewhere around here, but I don't care where they are. 

And then there's Jake. He's been missing ever since I got here, which is kind of weird. I mean, I know I blew up on him yesterday in the Swan Express (Colby's words, not mine), but that doesn't mean anything. We were stuck on a new, manmade lake with the bottom falling out of the swan boat. How else was I supposed to act? Plus, it turned out that the boat was actually Colby, and his pants fell off. That is something I don't want to see, ever. 

I let out a sigh, blowing dark pieces of my hair out of my eyes. Soft Christmas music (that Hartley picked out, mind you) plays in the background as the guests mix and mingle. When you're surrounded by this many people, there's no way you can feel lonely. So, why do I feel lonely in this crowd of Christmas lovers? 

Amy and Hartley enter the living room, with wide grins on their faces. Eva is nowhere to be seen, so maybe she went down to the lair. Maybe Jake is there, too. If only I could go there, but I don't have the courage to slip away from my corner near the dark tree. It doesn't help that Hartley gives me one glance and then is back to her conversation with Amy. My heart thuds against my ribcage as I watch the two of them interact with a few girls from school. Amy doesn't look that interested, but she is Hartley's best friend and has learned that Hartley will do things with or without her. 

I guess that's a lesson I need to learn, too. Hartley and I have our differences. She'll always be Grandma's favorite, she'll always get the best of the best because she's nice. I'll always be the more cynical sister, the one who got sympathy looks and cards when kids found out I was sick. But I was still seen as Hartley's little sister, and no one wanted to be my friend because of that. Little Miss Sunshine was too sunshine-y for people, and I was too dark. It wasn't a good mix. It still isn't a good mix.

But Hartley is always going to do what she wants to do because she's allowed to. She makes good grades, she is the nicest person on the planet, and she is my sister and best friend. I'll always love her because she knows the true, real me, but there are parts of her that I can't stand. She won't change, though. At least, not yet. If she continues hanging out with the Maddens, maybe they'll get her to change her ways a little bit, but I can't do that.